Please Help! SQL + Caching optimization

Hi all,

I am implementing a live feed on my xenforo homepage, meaning that it shows a list of recent posts, updated in real time, resulting in some heavy sql query(ies) every 1 second..

I am just testing it myself right now, so 1 user, and it's already putting the CPU under pressure, the way it is done I think the number of simultaneous queries will be demultiplied by the number of users seeing that page, which is obviously not ideal.

The thing is, recent posts is a static data, so no matter what user queries it it'll send the same answer, so i'm thinking there must be a way to make it so the data is cached somehow, resulting in 1 single query/sec (instead 1*nbr_of_users) every 1 second ..

Would using redis as cache accomplish this ? if not what other solutions do I have ?

I would immensly appreciate help on this.

@Xon @RoldanLT @Kier @Mike ... anyone ^^

I should mention that I have a ton of RAM that can be used if necessary.

Mehdi

Thanx @Solidus , I was looking at Xon's redis cache addon, and DB tech Optimize as a matter of fact, just want to make sure this is the right solution for what i'm trying to accomplish ..

Mehdi

Ernest L. Defoe

Also make sure you are using something other than the default SQL cause that will put some heavy load on your SQL server. I recommend something like MariaDB or Percona which uses MariaDB. They will both be better than default SQL.