Implemented Please get rid of out of focus screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Some would. But that's the problem; you don't know how many would leave never saying a word about it, never to come back because of it.

I'm not understanding something..

If you are worried about this, as mentioned, why not just keep it set to the default 0 blur?

The same users who you don't know how many would leave never saying a word about it, never to come back because of it, may not even realise they could just turn it off. So you could lose either way whether there was user control or not.

Last edited:
I’m sort of losing sight of what the issue is now 🙂

The default behaviour of XF 2.1 is now the same as 2.0 so really that should be the end of the matter.

If an admin decides to add some sort of blur filter, well that’s up to them regardless of whether it’s a good or bad idea.

It’s just CSS at the end of the day. There’s not a lot we can do about it if an admin decides to use some CSS that some of their users don’t find preferable.

I’m sort of losing sight of what the issue is now 🙂

The default behaviour of XF 2.1 is now the same as 2.0 so really that should be the end of the matter.

If an admin decides to add some sort of blur filter, well that’s up to them regardless of whether it’s a good or bad idea.

It’s just CSS at the end of the day. There’s not a lot we can do about it if an admin decides to use some CSS that some of their users don’t find preferable.

The issue is still there to begin with lets say i visit XF or when TAZ go to 2.x and you have blur turned on because the site admin likes that then i still have an issue. Like i said on TAZ make it a usercp option so people can set it them selfs instead of global option. It CSS but you XF made this possible in the UI design. Like i said on TAZ good UI design is not what many remember to do. So if an admin likes blur the user can turn it off if he wants to in the usercp.

The issue is still there to begin with lets say i visit XF or when TAZ go to 2.x and you have *** because the site admin likes that then i still have an issue.
This can be applied to any style decision. (replace *** with any style decision you don't like)

Basically, you can't control the design of a site. It is created by other people and you may not like some decisions. If so, you can either speak with admins/creators OR use custom css code in your browser.

If you look at XenForo user preferences, you will not find any styling options there except of chosen style.

Last edited:
If you are worried about this, as mentioned, why not just keep it set to the default 0 blur?

The same users who you don't know how many would leave never saying a word about it, never to come back because of it, may not even realise they could just turn it off. So you could lose either way whether there was user control or not.
You took my post out of context. It was a reply to wedgar's question:
Do you think the users would probably speak up if the blurred screens bothered them?
None of my posts advocated the use of a member option. I did mention/suggest an option in the ACP though. I'm grateful there is now a style property that is defaulted to 0 (no blur). It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that some webmasters don't always listen to feedback from members, or don't care, when it comes to "styling issues." We have already seen the knee-jerk reaction in this and the thread on TAZ concerning what turns out to be an actual health issue. It could be physical or psychological or a combination - I'm no expert, but I do see it causes a reaction. It affects quite a number of forum admins, which is a very tiny percentage of the forum members who could be affected by this. For some, it will be hard to fathom. Maybe it can be compared to the disbelief that a strobe effect can trigger a seizure in some people.

As for me and my forum and my members/visitors, the blurred effect will stay off. Even if I hadn't been affected by it, I do listen to my members regarding styling, to some extent. I've used their feedback to determine the color scheme and the size of fonts and other styling properties. Some I ignore. I can't control what other webmasters do to their forums, but I won't risk losing members over this. And I will always tell my members to speak up if they have any problems on my site - and hope that they will.

This can be applied to any style decision. (replace *** with any style decision you don't like)

Basically, you can't control the design of a site. It is created by other people and you may not like some decisions. If so, you can either speak with admins/creators OR use custom css code in your browser.

If you look at XenForo user preferences, you will not find any styling options there except of chosen style.

I don't see a reason to over complicate this, if an admin activates the blur (which I doubt you'll see anyhow) then the user's of that site need to speak out if it becomes an issue.

So instead of dealing this at the source who created this we need to talk to all site owners that uses XF2.x and then hope they remember people that have to deal with getting negative impact because of a blur. Its faster to implement this for the usercp then to talk to x website owners not to use a blur, also by making this a usercp people can learn how to do this and give people more choices in the UI.

So instead of dealing this at the source who created this we need to talk to all site owners that uses XF2.x and then hope they remember people that have to deal with getting negative impact because of a blur. Its faster to implement this for the usercp then to talk to x website owners not to use a blur, also by making this a usercp people can learn how to do this and give people more choices in the UI.
It has been dealt with. The default is no blur.

Ultimately site owners will do whatever they like when it comes to design, whether it's bad for some users or not. Some site owners like to add flashing/glowing user names or have particular patterns in their site design. This may affect some people who suffer from photosensitive epilepsy (which can be triggered by flashing and flickering lights and certain high contrast or moving patterns).

Are the XenForo devs supposed to code the forum software so that site owners cannot in any way customise their sites in this way? Of course not. It's up to site owners to be aware of their target audience and if any of the design elements they use cause issues for their users, then the users need to let the site admin know who should listen and act accordingly.

Are the XenForo devs supposed to code the forum software so that site owners cannot in any way customise their sites in this way?
Initially they did code the forum without a means for owners to change the blur customization. Thankfully as you said
It has been dealt with. The default is no blur.
and I am great-full for this as personally it allows me to use other functions without the risk of eye strain and resulting migraines. Also I am personally not at risk of subjecting my users to this visual abuse.
So again thank you for changing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom