Implemented Please get rid of out of focus screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Not saying there shouldn't be a property, would be nice if there was maybe even some options. You can adjust it with some simple CSS in extra.less:

Code:
div.p-pageWrapper.has-overlay
{
    filter: blur(2px);

}

The default is 8px, reducing blurs it less.

Another variant which I haven't really tested and I have no coffee in me :D
Code:
{
    filter: none;
    &:before
    {
        width: 100%;
        height: 100%;
        content: "";
        background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.55);
        z-index: 800;
        display: block;
        position: absolute;
    }
}

Since some people are saying they like the blur, I want to make it clear that this isn't about whether the blur looks good or not. It's not a debate of aesthetics where nobody's right or wrong and we're all entitled to our opinion. This isn't the same as talking about preferred avatar shape or icon style.

The problem is that it causes a physically unpleasant reaction in some people. You might not feel it yourself, but some of your members will. Do you want those people to leave because your site is less usable for them?

I don't like it either. So an option to switch it off, change it or some simple way to change it in the CSS would be good.

I just tried here and my 1.5 board and I'm okay with either approach (blurring or greying), though I think the greying looks better. I'll try Russ' CSS suggestion when I get my dev board upgraded. Obviously, a property or other relatively easy way to switch would be nice.

When I first found out about this issue on TAZ, I was thinking it just couldn't be and that maybe the OP had other issues and decided to create some drama over it. Well, I apologize for that first impression. I came to see for myself and found there was definite merit to the complaint. I feel some slight discomfort and even some kind of pressure around the back of my eyeballs. It's not causing a migraine, but I now believe those with more sensitivity may experience a stronger sensation.

I don't like the feeling. It may have something to do with my age (69) or the fact that I have a mild case of macular degeneration (one of those health issues that tend to become chronic over time). What's most concerning to me is that many of the regular participants on my forum are also in their advanced years with untold and varied health issues that could be affected by this CSS behavior. I have the ability to make the CSS changes to modify this, but other forum admins may not. It would probably be better if it were possible to make this an adjustable feature in the options panel.

Not saying there shouldn't be a property, would be nice if there was maybe even some options. You can adjust it with some simple CSS in extra.less:

View attachment 188924
Code:
{
    filter: blur(2px);

}

The default is 8px, reducing blurs it less.

Since we've only had XF 2.0 in our testing forum (we were waiting on one major add-on to be updated to 2.0), I wasn't even aware of the blur. But like the saying goes, what has been seen cannot be unseen. I tried it and yes, it's a bit of a strange effect.

I tried filter: blur(0px); and it takes away the blur while still dimming the screen slightly. That is good enough for us. I see no need to have an on/off setting for this since it is one little piece of code in extra.less. I usually have at least a dozen small tweaks in that file anyway--what's one more?

I haven't looked through the templates or style properties yet, but, I could see adding in this parameter somewhere among those so it is easier to tweak (with a note to set it to 0px to disable the blurring).

A very cool effect is to change this to filter: blur(0px) grayscale(80%); which also removes the color of the theme (unless the theme is already greyscale).

Last edited:
If I didn't know it couldn't possibly be the case, I'd assume a forum developer was listening to, and acting on, customer/user feedback.

Last edited:
While that is good, it is still an issue for users. If a site has it set as blur, and it bothers some users, they may leave. If it was a user setting it would be optimal.
Do you think the users would probably speak up if the blurred screens bothered them?

While that is good, it is still an issue for users. If a site has it set as blur, and it bothers some users, they may leave. If it was a user setting it would be optimal.
That would apply to essentially every styling decision you make, from colors to fonts and text sizes (never mind general design choices).

If you want to provide alternative settings, you can always do so with different styles.

If you are worried what the users think, or are concerned for their safety, just keep it at the default 0.

We have survived for about twenty five years (?) of online forums without any blurs, I'm sure we will all continue to survive. Meanwhile those forum owners who want to expose their members to blurry things can choose to do so.

Mind you it's difficult these days to watch a movie without some camera right in front of a teacup while it actually focuses on someone across the room. Dr. Gauss has so much to answer for.

In not concerned with my forums, not the ones I manage necessarly. I am looking at this from a end user point of view, what if XF had the blurr, and is caused me health issues, and they refuse to turn it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom