Please, add export or deletion of conversations, mark all read.

Shipside

I have over 7000 messages imported from VBB that I cannot delete, export or mark read.

My inbox says 88 unread, forever. I cannot find the 88 unread out of the 7000 messages.

My users have over 10+ years, many have over 15,000 messages and cannot do anything with them.

This should be a standard feature by now.

Deletion isn't an option because conversations are fundamentally different in design. Multiple users can have access to the same conversation, so deletion wouldn't work because it would remove everyone's access, not just your own.

Instead, there is the option to 'leave' conversations, which will remove them from your inbox (and you can choose whether or not to ignore new replies).

You can do this in bulk with the inline tools:
JX1CXHn.png

However, I do agree XenForo should have a page that lists only unread conversations to make this process easier. That would be a good suggestion to post in the Suggestions forum.

Reading each of those conversations would change it to display others though so it would allow the issue to be resolved.

Deletion isn't an option because conversations are fundamentally different in design. Multiple users can have access to the same conversation, so deletion wouldn't work because it would remove everyone's access, not just your own.

Instead, there is the option to 'leave' conversations, which will remove them from your inbox (and you can choose whether or not to ignore new replies).

You can do this in bulk with the inline tools:
JX1CXHn.png

But what if the admin WANTS to delete a conversation? The way it is now they cannot even delete a duplicate post that was made by mistake within a Conversation.

Being able to delete a conversation or even delete a single post within Conversations should be a fundamental feature for the administrator or at least for a Super Administrator at a minimum.

I’ve needed this myself a time or two already and I had to go into my database using phpMyAdmin and delete them manually which really shouldn't even be necessary.

@RSI, I can definitely understand deleting individual messages, that's something I've wanted for a while.

Deleting entire conversations still seems a little odd, at least as an administrator, as administrators don't have access to user conversations unless they're explicitly included anyways. Maybe as an option for reported conversations though or something along those lines.

You can delete all conversations started by a particular member in the ACP, in the case of spam or troublesome accounts, but you can't cherry pick which ones to delete.

In any case, I was just explaining the fundamental differences between conversations and the traditional "Private Messages" feature from the vB days, where deletion was simpler and made more sense.

It really should be something for the board administrator/owner to decide. If they want the ability to delete a conversation for whatever reason then…?

I guess I just don’t see the reasoning for having such a restriction when there are a few of us who want the ability to delete. There are cases where having that option is necessary.

It really should be something for the board administrator/owner to decide. If they want the ability to delete a conversation for whatever reason then…?
How would they know a conversation exists unless it was one they were included in? Where would the option/button be and how would it work?

The way I see it, either there should be a set of permissions for deleting a conversation you started or are a participant of (available to all user-groups), or it should be limited to administrators/moderators with conversations that are reported.

There are cases where having that option is necessary.
Any examples? Just curious of the use case.

there isn't one.
That's why he suggested requesting it, I imagine. Not trying to get snarky, but there is an add-on request forum and a suggestions forum.

This add-on will allow you to remove participants. When all participants leave a conversation it is deleted. So if I'm not mistaken, if you remove all participants and then leave the conversation yourself it should effectively delete it.

I actually wasn't trying to request any add-on here, I just read through the topic and wanted to comment because it’s something that I have needed to. There really shouldn't be any need for an add-on though. Being able to delete a post within a Conversation or to delete a Conversation that YOU started should be a built-in xenForo option.

Examples?

I had started a few Conversations that were more like announcements to members on my board and after a while I wanted to remove them, but found that I couldn't. I honestly could not believe there wasn't an option to delete them at first until read through some of the topics here and found out xenForo has that restriction. I was like what? :confused:

There have also been a few duplicate posts made too and there wasn’t any way to remove those either.

Anyway, it's no biggie, but there really should be an option to delete a Conversation that YOU started along with individual posts for admins. It’s just my opinion though for whatever it’s worth.

Last edited:
I have over 7000 messages imported from VBB that I cannot delete, export or mark read.

My inbox says 88 unread, forever. I cannot find the 88 unread out of the 7000 messages.

My users have over 10+ years, many have over 15,000 messages and cannot do anything with them.

This should be a standard feature by now.

I'm in a much worse situation. I have a big board, I migrated from vB few days ago.
I have exactly 5421 unread private messages. Therefore for me, and for many of my users, the red baloon with the number of unread messages is a waste of time and pacience.
I'll have to buy an addon to mark all read, and this should be a standard option.

Top Bottom