Planning: Move Wordpress contents to XF

Andy.N

Hi guys,

Have WP installed on root and XF on /forum folder. WP has about 200 posts and pages and around 1000 comments.
I'm planning to move all WP contents into XF (articles -> threads, pages -> pages). I will move XF to the root and have Xenporta as CMS. I'm current using Xenscript bridge.

Obviously, I have to do this in stages. Here is what I plan. please let me know if I overlook something.

1) Manually or use some scripts to move WP articles into XF threads. I will move this into a private forum and change the author name, format, etc. There does not seem to be any XF tool to easily change a thread author
2) Manually create XF pages to replace existing WP pages.
3) Move WP into /blog/ folder
4) Add redirects into the server nginx config file.
5) Move XF into root. Install Xenporta and add a redirect so that all the current XF threads will go to a new location.

1) Manually or use some scripts to move WP articles into XF threads. I will move this into a private forum and change the author name, format, etc. There does not seem to be any XF tool to easily change a thread author
Actually, there is.

If you contact Floris by e-mail, he has an add-on which will help you.

Jake,
But those have something to do with VB4? Do I start from a specific step?
I have WP and XF databases on the same server. Is it possible to run some queries given they are on different database?

Yeah my steps use vB4.

Manual queries are possible. In fact I only use ImpEx to import the users. The actual threads and posts I do with manual queries. To run such queries you need to copy the relevant tables to the new database. An example is in steps 6 and 7 in my post.

You can run manual queries to import threads and posts to an XF database too. But I still prefer to use a script for the users since they span multiple tables. But if there are few users to import then you could manually create the accounts in XF with the same usernames to make them work with some manual queries for the threads and posts.

Yeah my steps use vB4.

Manual queries are possible. In fact I only use ImpEx to import the users. The actual threads and posts I do with manual queries. To run such queries you need to copy the relevant tables to the new database. An example is in steps 6 and 7 in my post.

You can run manual queries to import threads and posts to an XF database too. But I still prefer to use a script for the users since they span multiple tables. But if there are few users to import then you could manually create the accounts in XF with the same usernames to make them work with some manual queries for the threads and posts.
Hi Jake,
I just clean up my WP posts and comments. Now it has about 160 posts and 600 comments.

I like to import those posts and comments into a private forum on my site for further cleaning up.
The authors of the posts all have account on XF with the same username.
Some of the comments are by people who have account on XF so they use the same username.

Is it possible to run a script to map those post authors and comment authors to the existing XF accounts? What will happen to the comments by guests since my forum does not allow guest comments.

Does your offer to import that into XF still stands? ;)
If so I will take up on that and can send you the WP database to play with. It's pretty small.

Top Bottom