PhpBB3 > Xenforo conversion question

K Ozturk

Dear sirs,

I own and administer a forum that is over 7 years old with around 11,000 registered members, which is currently on PhpBB3.0.9.

I am considering a switch over to Xenforo and I see that you offer an installation service at an additional fee, which is great. I would be interested in taking that service.

What I would like to know is, do you offer database conversion as part of this service as well? The database is a bit large (around 500MB) and I am not very good at these things so I fear that I may screw something up in the process.

So if you do offer such service, then I could go ahead with this changeover right now. I intend to start the new year on this new platform.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Woaaaaa no need to bother anyone from the support at all. This forum software is a riot! :LOL:

The best $140 I've spent on anything in the software realm since SPL's Transient Designer, hahhah...

For the first time in years, something I install works right out of the bat. I absolutely love it.

Thanks for the great work, I wish you guys the best of business.

Cheers.

MKO
hi if you dont mind me asking how long did it take your to complete the import?

Importing is not offered as an official service, only basic installation.
People seem to ask this alot.

Installation Service - $50*
A XenForo representative will install the latest version on your server, provided it meets the requirements. This does not include PHP or MySQL installation or conversion from another forum software.

hi if you dont mind me asking how long did it take your to complete the import?

I did not time it, but it was not longer than a few hours. My colleague said "don't touch anything, this thing is running and God is itvery fast." So I left it, and when I came back a few hours later, the forum was there.

But don't make any assumptions on it because our service provider also happens to be our sponsor and our account has the highest priority over any other peer account, so for instance, in the case of a bottleneck, our performance is not affected by other accounts' demands from the total power/bandwidth, but they are affected by our demand, so things happen quite fast for our requests in the system. Yours may take longer if you don't have such privileges.

But either way it doesn't matter. As long as you apply everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, as stated in the help menu step by step, this thing works as it says on the tin.

To give you an example, we couldn't make it work in the first pass. It created the existing forums and sub-forums as the original forum, and then stopped when it came to importing the users and the messages and PMs.

When I went back to the checklist, I realised that my colleague, whom was carrying out the operation, had assigned a different name as the God account during the initial forum installation, and also created a second user account for me so that I could log in and oversee what was happening from the admin menu. Good thought, but wrong procedure. It clearly says in the guidelines, "no test user accounts".

We cleaned up the stuff and restarted from scratch, and this time I made sure that the God account was named exactly the same as the existing forum database, down to the password, and there was nothing else in the destination database. Then we selected the blocks to be imported and pressed the button and voila!

The conversion went through without a hiccup.

Hope this helps.

Dear sirs,

I own and administer a forum that is over 7 years old with around 11,000 registered members, which is currently on PhpBB3.0.9.

I am considering a switch over to Xenforo and I see that you offer an installation service at an additional fee, which is great. I would be interested in taking that service.

What I would like to know is, do you offer database conversion as part of this service as well? The database is a bit large (around 500MB) and I am not very good at these things so I fear that I may screw something up in the process.

So if you do offer such service, then I could go ahead with this changeover right now. I intend to start the new year on this new platform.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.
Are you KingofPunjabi from RD? Sup man.

Got it. Sorry mate no connection at all. Our current forums are at http://www2.muziktek.net

We're working on a new face uplift now. Skin and new logo and colour scheme and all that. It's like starting from scratch, but no complaints. This software is dogs bolshong...
You can still use the same color and themes if you try. Most of the skins on my site are imitations of the skins from my old vbulletin 4 installation.

Top Bottom