XF 1.5 PHP 7

Valkyrius Magni

I was reading an article about speeding up Xenforo. And one of it says that I should use PHP 7 if possible.

I have it in cPanel. Should I put a check on everything?

@Amin Sabet actually got better results from Apache2.4 with mod_pagespeed with Litespeed on his server. We've recently flattened that server, and moved to nginx / php7 and he's getting even better results. Will really need to wait for PHP7 to come into cPanel before I can do a fair comparison myself.

@Amin Sabet actually got better results from Apache2.4 with mod_pagespeed with Litespeed on his server. We've recently flattened that server, and moved to nginx / php7 and he's getting even better results. Will really need to wait for PHP7 to come into cPanel before I can do a fair comparison myself.
It was actually his article that I was reading.

Are you guys using Cloudflare/MaxCDN? I want to use both altogether and might consider getting the Railgun option if we ever get big.

I don't know in all honesty. I've tried Cloudflare many times myself, and never been very impressed with them. Amin isn't using them currently (using DNSMadeEasy for DNS), and we have HTTP/2 working with nginx. Cloudflare only offers SPDY.

I've tested my sites over and over again. Been a bit obsessed with performance. I can tell you that in my case, like Matt said, I am getting faster performance than ever before with Nginx via Centminmod and KeyCDN (and http/2, PHP7, Memcached, etc).

I wouldn't mind paying for LiteSpeed Webserver if it gave me better results, but it did not. My start render times (based on Webpagetest.org) actually seemed faster with Apache + mod_pagespeed than with LSWS. This fellow found something similar: https://www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/threads/performance.1101/

With all of these things, YMMV. I've no doubt that LSWS is faster than Apache and/or Nginx for some people depending on their needs, server specs, etc.

I've had mixed results with CloudFlare. It definitely sped up my site when I was using the XenForo image proxy. Not sure why. But I'm not using it now, and my sites have never been faster. I never tried Railgun. Wasn't an option on the "Pro" plan.

Not sure why you'd want to use both CloudFlare and another CDN. Not for speed at least. Possibly for some of the CloudFlare security features, but I was getting false positives with those and decided to turn them off anyway.

I wouldn't mind paying for LiteSpeed Webserver if it gave me better results, but it did not.
Did you turn on LiteSpeed Cache? It speeds up my big board a lot. My big board will not even run on Apache, unless I throw more servers at it.

The benchmarks I have seen so far put it on par with NGINX.

Did you turn on LiteSpeed Cache? It speeds up my big board a lot. My big board will not even run on Apache, unless I throw more servers at it.

The benchmarks I have seen so far put it on par with NGINX.

I didn't use LiteSpeed Cache. I used that with vBulletin before switching to XenForo and had small issues with it that kept me from trying it with XenForo. I'm mostly interested in site performance for members anyway.

I have a lot of server relative to the activity of my sites. That's probably why I was okay with Apache.

Top Bottom