Design issue  Phantom quotes within a multi-quote

CBI Web

Did a search for this but there are 1 bazillion posts about multi-quoting (yes, I counted them), and I only have time for a million or so.

I multi-quoted in a thread, and the result was a phantom quote box that split one of the quotes in half. I thought it was my own mistake so I went back in and removed the extra quote tags, but the same thing happened again. I removed the extra stuff again, but still not fixed. Here's the post:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/fixed-width.950/#post-12014

It's related to badly nested BB codes. It has come up once before already, and it's really hard to deal with in a WYSIWYG editor that mixes some non-WYSIWYG stuff.

[b]a[quote]b[/b]c[/quote], results in:

a

It's basically impossible to do it in a way that's always right. I'd like to figure out a way to help reduce it's occurrences (particularly via WYSIWYG), but it's a very challenging problem.

In the mean time, don't change the font or text size (use the remove formatting button on the top left), and it will happen less often. :)

Mike, are we going to have just a plain, non-WYSIWYG editor that still has the BBcode buttons so we can edit the BBcode manually? The editor is great and all, but honestly in its current implementation I find myself fighting it more than it's really useful.

I already know that [b]text[/b] will make the text bold, I don't really need to see it. There are many times when I need to edit the BB code manually, however, and as it's setup currently I can't. :)

@Eriksrocks:

You could always switch to the plain (non-WYSIWYG) editor using the Switch Mode (
switchmode.png
) button.

Mike, are we going to have just a plain, non-WYSIWYG editor that still has the BBcode buttons so we can edit the BBcode manually? The editor is great and all, but honestly in its current implementation I find myself fighting it more than it's really useful.

Either never or a very long time. It's a gigantic undertaking that really isn't worth that amount of time. The WYSIWYG editor needs to be improved to resolve some of the issues people have (as I've touched on above).

I'm curious as to why it's unusable though. Saying that you already know how to make bold tags etc, seems to imply that you don't need help writing BB code anyway?

I have the same problem.

I've never used an editor of this type before and I can honestly say I hate it.
I usually switch to plain text if I need to enter any BBCode.

I have the same problem.

I've never used an editor of this type before and I can honestly say I hate it.
I usually switch to plain text if I need to enter any BBCode.

I have to agree WYSIWYG is great and all, but it would be great to see the same toolbar style options when writing in plain mode... I prefer seeing the BBCODE but things like adding images / media is sometimes just easier with a button than having to write it manually.

Also how does the WYSIWYG currently handle custom bbcodes? For an end user I think it gets confusing that sometimes it is WYSIWYG and other times it isn't :(

I prefer seeing the BBCODE but things like adding images / media is sometimes just easier with a button than having to write it manually.
The WYSIWYG is great for images as it's drag and drop.

What a shame we can't have the best of both :D

Drag & drop, plain text and BBCode buttons.

The WYSIWYG is great for images as it's drag and drop.

What a shame we can't have the best of both :D

Drag & drop, plain text and BBCode buttons.

Would be cool if you drag & drop an image into the plain editor and it automatically changed it to BBCODE Again if you are writing a ton of text and including a big image the images sometimes gets in the way... Just my thought

I have to agree WYSIWYG is great and all, but it would be great to see the same toolbar style options when writing in plain mode... I prefer seeing the BBCODE but things like adding images / media is sometimes just easier with a button than having to write it manually.
Exactly. I don't mind typing short and simple tags for bold and the like, but when it come to URLs and such, it can be a pain to have to write it all out. And as Brogan said, it would be nice to have the best of both.

This is the editor on my forum.
Not very XF I know but it works for me :)
Being able to add my own BBCode buttons is a godsend as we use some strange tags on my site.

editor-png.264

Attachments

• editor.webp
    editor.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 34
I'm curious as to why it's unusable though. Saying that you already know how to make bold tags etc, seems to imply that you don't need help writing BB code anyway?

Pretty much what everybody above me has said. It has little quirks and bugs that can just get annoying. I would use the plain editor, but it doesn't have any buttons at all. My ideal editor is the vB3 "Standard Editor - extra formatting controls." It allows me to edit the BB code manually and control things, but it has all the buttons for easy editing and efficiency. I don't have to type out the whole URL or IMG tag. :)

Code editing with the current WYSIWYG editor in particular is extremely painful - whitespace gets stripped, or extra whitespace mysteriously appears, and the Georgia serif font is just not good at all for trying to edit or format code within the editor. :)

Also, I never said it was unusable, I said that often it was just more of a hassle than actually helpful. Definitely not unusable though. :)

Top Bottom