Persistent Alerts

Persistent Alerts [Paid] 2.6.0

No permission to buy ($25.00)

Xon

Xon submitted a new resource:

Persistent Alerts - Keep users informed by delivering alerts/emails based on user preferences regardless of activity

This add-on enables you to keep alerting users of responses to threads regardless of the last time they viewed the thread. By default XenForo alerts users of a new reply to a thread they're watching only if they've viewed the thread since the last alert. This reduces redundancy. However, sometimes it'd be nice if users could continue to receive emails and alerts of new replies even if they didn't view the thread since the last one.

Admin Panel
This feature can be enabled either...

Read more about this resource...

I'm a bit confused by what this means, the description seems to contradict the title.

Is it unread alerts or no unread alerts????

That should be "no unread alerts", typo.

Thought it must be!

I am a bit confused because surely if they have no unread alerts, then they would be getting alerts anyway, without the addon?

I'm doing some testing and it seems people are still only getting alerts when they have followed the link.

How should this actually be set for its most aggressive setting, ie all users get persistently emailed (without opting in) of every messages in any forum they are watching and getting emails for messages?

I may need to double check this still works with XF2.1 :(

I'm doing some testing and it seems people are still only getting alerts when they have followed the link.
If the alert is marked as read, they will get a new alert. Following the link just makes it as read with XF2.1.

How should this actually be set for its most aggressive setting, ie all users get persistently emailed (without opting in) of every messages in any forum they are watching and getting emails for messages?
Check "Persistent Alerts - Ignore Last Read Date", and uncheck "Persistent Alert - Suppress Persistent Emailing" and "Persistent Alert - Only alert on no unread alerts". This is the most aggressive option set.

Reactions: rdn
If we check the box for "Only alert on no unread alerts", does that apply to both alerts as well as emails?

Meaning, if there are unread alerts, will it keep firing off emails?

I’m thinking of buying this and globally enabling for all members while at the same time enabling the only alert when there are no unread alerts setting. Has anyone else here used it that way and able to attest to how it turned out on their board?

Does this addon affect push notifications? When I wake up and turn my laptop on and launch Chrome, I get a ton of consecutive push notifications from my site including individual push notifications for multiple reactions to the same thread.

I don't know if this addon is causing that behavior, but it didn't seem like I was getting so many push notifications prior to installing it. I'd love to be able to have "Only alert on no unread alerts" also work for push notifications.

Check "Persistent Alerts - Ignore Last Read Date", and uncheck "Persistent Alert - Suppress Persistent Emailing" and "Persistent Alert - Only alert on no unread alerts". This is the most aggressive option set.

I'm a bit confused about how to test this is working as I expect because some users say they are not always getting notifications. I have options set as above. There are about 8 users who are watching a forum for New messages and email alerts. (I have double checked they have that set for the forum using xenConcept login as user)

My understanding is that with watch messages and options set as in quote above, then they would get an email notification for every single message posted in that forum whether they visit or not after notification.

But my mailgun logs are showing two seats of notifications for posts in the thread title "19/01421/FUL - one at 4:48 and one later at 7:37

As you can see there are 6 notifications for 4:48 and only 3 for 7:37

So either there are notifications that don't even show up in the mailgun log or else some are not being sent????

mailgun2.webp

The behaviour above looks a bit like you would expect if there were no persistent alerts, ie some (3) of the users alerted for the earlier post followed the link but the others didn't - shouldn't it show the same 6 users?

I'll need to look into this, with that configuration it should be alerting for every new post

Thanks xon, it is very hard to test on something like this, members may not be happy about loads of test posts or itrelevant posts just to see what's happening with the notifications.

I got several of this errors after 2.1.0 update.

Code:
XF\Db\Exception: MySQL statement prepare error [1054]: Unknown column 'sv_persistent_alert' in 'field list' src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php:217
Generated by: Unknown account Oct 25, 2019 at 8:39 PM
Stack trace
INSERT  INTO `xf_user_option` (`content_show_signature`, `show_dob_year`, `show_dob_date`, `receive_admin_email`, `email_on_conversation`, `push_on_conversation`, `creation_watch_state`, `interaction_watch_state`, `sv_persistent_alert`, `sv_persistent_alert_always`, `user_id`, `is_discouraged`, `alert_optout`, `push_optout`, `use_tfa`, `prefixess_ignored_prefix_ids`, `sv_default_deleted`) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
------------

#0 src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(196): XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException('MySQL statement...', 1054, '42S22')
#1 src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(39): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException('MySQL statement...', 1054, '42S22')
#2 src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php(54): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->prepare()
#3 src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(94): XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute()
#4 src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(218): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query('INSERT  INTO `x...', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php(1452): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->insert('xf_user_option', Array, false)
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php(1184): XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity->_saveToSource()
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Entity.php(1202): XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity->save(true, false)
#8 src/XF/Service/User/Registration.php(279): XF\Mvc\Entity\Entity->save()
#9 src/XF/Service/ValidateAndSavableTrait.php(40): XF\Service\User\Registration->_save()
#10 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Register.php(307): XF\Service\User\Registration->save()
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(321): XF\Pub\Controller\Register->actionConnectedAccountRegister(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(244): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Register', 'ConnectedAccoun...', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Pub\Controller\Register), NULL)
#13 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(XF\Pub\Controller\Register), NULL)
#14 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#15 src/XF/App.php(2178): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#16 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#17 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#18 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(46) "/register/connected-accounts/facebook/register"
  ["referrer"] => string(58) "https://domain/register/connected-accounts/facebook/"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/register/connected-accounts/facebook/register"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(9) {
    ["username"] => string(10) "user"
    ["email"] => string(20) "email@gmail.com"
    ["accept"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfRedirect"] => string(1) "/"
    ["timezone"] => string(14) "Asia/Hong_Kong"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(38) "/register/connected-accounts/facebook/"
    ["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"