As designed Permanent redirects break in article forums

electrogypsy

Affected version
Hey folks, it looks like the article forum type breaks permanent redirects to other forums; I'm assuming this applies to timed redirects as well, although I have not tested that. This is obviously in XF 2.2.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. create a thread in node A (an article forum)
  2. move thread from node A to node B (a discussion forum); select permanent redirect.
  3. thread appears in node B, but no redirect link appears in node A.
Redirect links DO work going from a discussion forum to an article forum:
  1. create a thread in node B (a discussion forum)
  2. move thread from node B to node A (an article forum); select permanent redirect.
  3. thread appears correctly in node A as an article, and the redirect link works properly in node B.
It's probably worth noting that the content being moved between these nodes was converted to an article type before either of the above was tested. I have also not tested moving an article from one article forum to another article forum with the redirect link option, so that might be something to check as well.

Whether this is intentional or not, it's probably desirable.

An article forum is intended to mimic a blog type layout.
A redirect link doesn't fit with that.

Whether this is intentional or not, it's probably desirable.

An article forum is intended to mimic a blog type layout.
A redirect link doesn't fit with that.
I understand, but... ideally, since it's technically the same content (an article), it would be nice if I could link them across different nodes the same way we can with threads.

On my site, I'm starting a blog essentially (article node) but I'd like that blog to be a list of links to content spread across other nodes in my forum. I think this could increase discovery of certain content. Of course, it IS possible to just put all that article content in the article node (the blog) and do the reverse, which is move the content to the blog and leave the redirects behind in the forum discussion nodes, but then eventually those redirect links get buried even if there's responses to that article (unless you make it a sticky thread i guess, but who wants a bajillion sticky threads :p ).

Maybe at the very least an error message to let you know redirects to articles only work one-way.

So, it's not a huuuuge deal, but it would be 'cool' if it was consistent with other content. So... this might be a feature request instead of a bug, but I'll leave that up to you all to decide.

As it stands, this is intentional. The redirect exists, we don't display it in these particular views.

A redirect is very much not the same content -- it's actually a whole separate thread record and has no idea about/relation to the original thread. There is just a separate record that causes the browser to redirect to the original thread when the redirect is clicked on. As such, there isn't any way to display any of the content that the alternative article views require, so we have to simply omit it.

Top Bottom