XF 2.2 Paypal user upgrade renewals not working - 'Information: OK, no action'

Stuart Wright

Hi,
I have not had any user upgrade payments since July 18.
Here is the payment profile log:
First page - no successful payments
2.webp
and this is the second page showing the last payment on July 18th
1.webp

If I click the most recent entry, I get this information (some redacted, obviously):
3.webp
The setup in Payment Profiles hasn't changed and there are no messages from Paypal.
I was running 2.2.6 from July 9th and 2.2.6 patch 2 from August 19.
I have no addons running which touch payments or user upgrades and I have no server errors.
Please help.

The transaction type there says subscr_eot which is for a subscription expiring/being cancelled, so XF won't have extended the upgrade but there's no immediate action. Successful payments will have a transaction type of subscr_payment, when's the last log you can see that says this?

The transaction type there says subscr_eot which is for a subscription expiring/being cancelled, so XF won't have extended the upgrade but there's no immediate action. Successful payments will have a transaction type of subscr_payment, when's the last log you can see that says this?
Almost all have
["txn_type"] => string(13) "subscr_failed"
The most recent example being
1.jpg
The last to have subscr_payment was July 18. The one showing as Payment: Payment received, upgraded/extended in the list.

I have a user who is trying to upgrade but can't. He's getting a message try again later pop up. It's him contacting me about the issue which brought it to my attention.

Something is definitely broken.

Coincidence or not, my custom payment profile also stopped working recently. I haven't had the time to look into it (manually upgrading every subscription right now) so I'm not sure if it's something on my payment gateway side or something else.

I'll keep you updated if I find something else about this.

@Brogan possible to move this thread to the bugs forum please?
I’d say this is pretty urgent because people may not resubscribe to their chosen upgrade after they have been downgraded and so we will be losing out financially in the long term. Never mind that our income has stopped in the short term. Assuming this is fixed quickly.

Visiting the callback URL directly probably won't yield any useful information as it expects a payload of data to be sent with it too - the request not validated message is due to not having the other information being sent with it.

Are there any errors in the server error log section that relate to payments?

Visiting the callback URL directly probably won't yield any useful information as it expects a payload of data to be sent with it too - the request not validated message is due to not having the other information being sent with it.

Are there any errors in the server error log section that relate to payments?
No, no server errors.
Paypal has a page showing unpaid subscriptions. It's all of them.

I'm not sure this would be an XF issue then based on that. The subscription payments are handled by PayPal, the IPN then notifies the forum of the payment which then upgrades the user, but that's not a requirement of the physical subscription payment being successful. Even if the IPN failed, PayPal would only disable the IPN notifications, but the payments themselves would still be processed by PayPal. The IPN is working as it's notifying the forum, but the payment in PayPal itself has failed. I think you'll need to reach out to PayPal to establish why they're all showing as failed.

Yeah to echo Matt, if you haven’t received any payments then that’s entirely down to PayPal.

XF sets up the subscription on PayPal’s side, it is then down to PayPal to take payments from the user. XF doesn’t request each payment, our involvement ends when the subscription is set up.

All XF expects is to be notified each time PayPal takes a payment. If that happens, the user upgrade is renewed. If no notification is received or PayPal just doesn’t take the payment then the user upgrade will expire at the expiry date on XF’s side.

So to clarify - are you receiving the expected payments into your PayPal account or not? If you are receiving no payments and the users have not cancelled their subscriptions then you will need to get in touch with PayPal to figure out what is going on. If the payments are not being taken from customers this is way beyond XF’s involvement in the process.

Not sure why there's downvotes on mine and Chris' posts, but if the payments in PayPal itself are saying failed, then as we've said, it'll be a PayPal support issue. XF physically doesn't have anything to do with the payments beyond setting up the initial subscriptions. If there's something wrong with how XF has set up the subscription (not sure if that'd even be possible) then would be a separate issue, but would need to ask PayPal what's causing them to fail to establish what the cause is.

Not sure why there's downvotes on mine and Chris' posts, but if the payments in PayPal itself are saying failed, then as we've said, it'll be a PayPal support issue. XF physically doesn't have anything to do with the payments beyond setting up the initial subscriptions. If there's something wrong with how XF has set up the subscription (not sure if that'd even be possible) then would be a separate issue, but would need to ask PayPal what's causing them to fail to establish what the cause is.

Agreed. PayPal has made changes before that interfered with account upgrades and identifying what changed and making certain changes in the settings for the PayPal account were successful in fixing the issues in the past.

I don't know what has changed currently or recently but obviously I would like to know. Blaming Xenforo for something that is not within their control seems silly.

It seems those that are downvoting anyone saying this is a PayPal issue and not a Xenforo are blaming Xenforo. How else do you account for that behavior?

It seems those that are downvoting anyone saying this is a PayPal issue and not a Xenforo are blaming Xenforo. How else do you account for that behavior?

I haven't seen any downvotes, in this thread, I have never downvoted anything on this forum or any other.

I could do a first and downvote your posts as they add nothing to the thread, But I suppose like this post, it bumps the thread so someone might see it who can help with the issue. So thanks for that.

Top Bottom