XF 2.1 Paypal user upgrade taking a long time.

Dynamic

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a problem on my end. I am currently using Sandbox Paypal to test the user upgrades. The website is also hosted on a server with 10Mbps connection. However, when I make a purchase via PayPal (Sandbox), from the time I make the purchase, to the time the account is upgraded, it takes around 7 minutes. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix this issue? Or is it because of the sandbox environment?

Stripe is also in sandbox mode and that is instantaneous, so I am a little confused.

Thanks.

It's fairly standard with PayPal for the notifications to take varying amounts of time. We've seen delays of up to several hours sporadically on the live system, though that is quite rare.

However, I can confirm from previous testing with the sandbox that it can indeed be frustratingly much slower than their live system and fairly consistently. I seem to recall a time during XF 2.0 development that it was taking as long as 20-30 minutes so, hey, I guess that's progress!

Stripe is indeed in a different league entirely. There was a time in the past where they were delivering notifications too fast!

It's fairly standard with PayPal for the notifications to take varying amounts of time. We've seen delays of up to several hours sporadically on the live system, though that is quite rare.

However, I can confirm from previous testing with the sandbox that it can indeed be frustratingly much slower than their live system and fairly consistently. I seem to recall a time during XF 2.0 development that it was taking as long as 20-30 minutes so, hey, I guess that's progress!

Stripe is indeed in a different league entirely. There was a time in the past where they were delivering notifications too fast!

Thanks for the reply Chris. If that is the case, would it be possible for you guys to make some sort of template edit, so as when the user makes a purchase, the user upgrade page is updated with something saying "Your purchase is currently being processed. Please wait" and maybe disable upgrades from being purchased during that time.

The reason for this is, I can absolutely foresee members purchasing an upgrade twice or three times since PayPal is taking too long. It is fine if it is a once-off, but if you have 2 - 3 purchases happening every minute, it will be a nightmare to refund users.

Thanks.

Unfortunately not.

XenForo has no idea whether the purchase has gone ahead until we receive the notification from PayPal. They may not have completed, they may have cancelled the process, their payment may have failed, or be held. The entire process is being done on PayPal's end so until we get information back from them, we know nothing.

The users do land back on the following page, which does state that the upgrade will be applied in due course. If you feel more clarity is needed, you could edit the phrases used on that page.

https://xenforo.com/community/account/upgrade-purchase

Unfortunately not.

XenForo has no idea whether the purchase has gone ahead until we receive the notification from PayPal. They may not have completed, they may have cancelled the process, their payment may have failed, or be held. The entire process is being done on PayPal's end so until we get information back from them, we know nothing.

The users do land back on the following page, which does state that the upgrade will be applied in due course. If you feel more clarity is needed, you could edit the phrases used on that page.

https://xenforo.com/community/account/upgrade-purchase
Thanks for the reply Chris. I had edited that template to make it a bit more informative. However, I am also wondering about one more important issue, and that is the "cancel" button when cancelling a paypal subscription is not exactly informative either. I am just wondering, is there a conditional I can use to display text/html to a user who has made a recurring purchase with PayPal.

That way I can simply just put a bit of informative text under the cancel button, but not display it if they made the purchase with Stripe. I asked support, but apparently it was outside the scope of your support. I did however post a thread at https://xenforo.com/community/threads/conditional-needed-for-payment-selection.166983/#post-1359410 as I was instructed to do, but so far there have been no replies.

Thanks.

Top Bottom