PayPal Subscriptions Cannot be Transferred

I think this post was written from the viewpoint of the seller and the argument I made was that you'll lose value, because of all this. You are right - it is a risk for the buyer, but therefore the risk will reduce the price for the seller. No one takes risks for free after all.

I think the risk is quite large actually. If you look at any business with subscribers you'll notice there are always quite a few 'dormant' accounts. None of those will continue when you ask them to sign up again.

paypal.webp

It's not as obviously placed as it should be. You need to go into the detail of a transaction to find the link to the recurring payments dashboard. Been there all the years I've taken subscriptions.

What I've learned is that PayPal subscriptions cannot be transferred under any circumstances whatsoever. It's not possible within their infrastructure.

However, it is possible transfer certain PayPal accounts, specifically, PayPal Business Accounts. And, if a PayPal Business Account controls a paid subscriber base, then it is possible to indirectly transfer that subscriber base along with the transfer of the account. But remember the subscriber base is not actually being transferred (i.e. it's staying under the same account).

In order to transfer a PayPal Business Account both parties must be located in the same country. If you are buying a website with a PayPal Business Account that is located in another country, you will need to assign a designated representative of the business in that country in order to take control of the account. Otherwise, you may have to ask all subscribers to resubscribe to pay an account located in the country of the business.

For more information, see this article on transferring PayPal subscriptions.

Top Bottom