1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay to register

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by gstar, Oct 6, 2015.

1. gstar

gstar Member

I'm looking to implement a pay to register feature.

I've found a couple of add-ons but they all appear to not be available anymore.

Is there such an add-on that is compatible with latest Xenforo version?

erich37 likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

XenForo has a user upgrades system built in.

A user has to be registered first to use it. Once they are registered, they can purchase a user upgrade which promotes them to another user group, and it could be that user group that actually gives them access to the premium parts of your site. Upgrades can also be on a recurring subscription basis meaning they have to pay continually every X period to retain access, if they cancel or stop paying then they are demoted back to the user group that can't do anything, until they purchase it again.

https://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

3. gstar

gstar Member

Hi Chris, thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately, this is not what I require. I wish to not allow any registration unless payment is complete. Is there no functioning add-on that allows for this?

4. Chris D

I've seen people assert this need before, but it seems strange to me how this built in function doesn't meet that need.

If registering an account gives you access to nothing until there is a payment, the end result is the same.

I'm not aware of any other way of doing it, but it seems to me like the built in functionality is perfect for it.

5. gstar

gstar Member

The built in version will allow endless registrations that may or may not upgrade once registered.

The aim is to only have registered users if they actually pay.

6. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Well-Known Member

I think this is vital. Part of conversion is timing. Having the user upgrades part of registration is necessary for most membership sites.

erich37 likes this.
  7. Chris D

I'm not aware of anything.
    In terms of managing that specific scenario, it's relatively easy to purge accounts using the Batch Update Users tool. It's a manual process, but you can delete all users who aren't in the paid user group who registered between X and Y.

8. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

I just wanted to give my opinion here. Allowing registrations has a the benefit of allowing you to send out periodic emails to users who aren't upgraded and offer a support forum if anyone has an issue paying.

Also, not sure what this is but it says "paid registration" - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xencentral-invitation-paid-registration-system.2332/

feldon30 likes this.
  9. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

erich37 likes this.
  10. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

OK I pressed Post Reply too soon. To add to my post,

It is absolutely vital to conversion that people can pay to register instead of registering and pay. My main expertise from freelancing for several years now has been working with big and small membership sites. Working on these paid membership sites, it usually boiled down to the following scenario.

- Owner wants to restrict content behind a paywall. Chooses wordpress and one of several available wordpress membership plugins.
    - Realizes he needs a forum. Or in many cases wants a forum from the beginning
    - Sometimes he / she wants to keep all paid content inside forum itself.
    - Finds out there is no way they can have both the best of wordpress and forum and also be able to manage paid members.
    - Too many systems... HEADACHE! :)

Mostly people who make a good amount of money from their paid members end up hiring people like me to help... One client got so tired of having to manage so many different softwares (wordpress, amember, xenforo, crm) that he asked to build a plugin in xenforo which could do pay to register utilizing all of xenforo's available user upgrade functions and that is how I coded pember.

What happens Chris is that online sales is a game of numbers. You will have X number of people in your email list. Y, which will be a percentage of X between 0.5 to 10 percent is what converts from sales page visitors to people who actually buy. If you inject even one additional click to the buy process it affects your conversion rate. It may seem superficial that people don't want to buy if they have to add a username , password first but that is actually what happens.

Traditionally forums were not built for sales, so such considerations have not been factored in any of the major available softwares but this is one area where xenforo could really improve. A sales page creator, pay to register, upgrades, downgrades and refunds auto adjusted, more payment processors, membership stats etc. if implemented in xenforo could dramatically change how xenforo is seen in online business circles.

erich37, gstar and RDR like this.