Pathetic Customer Support by HostGator

DFI

It has been more than 24 hours Hostgator has blocked all IP to access my website and no respense on the ticket raised with their support team.

Tried to chat with 4 different support officials but all are singing same song that Admin will sort out your issues.

This is the 3rd time Hostgator has blocked my website for exceeding 25% of system CPU.

Now i am in fix whether to move out of this irresponsible Host or every Host behaves like this only ?

Hostgator was acquired (not terribly long ago) by a group called EIG (Endurance International Group). They are well-known for buying successful hosts and then running them completely in to the ground. Hostgator used to be a really good host; now they are on-par with all the other EIG brands.

Do other hosts behave that way? Perhaps. You are on a shared server, shared with potentially hundreds of other clients. No host can allow you to monopolize the CPU resources continually. If you are really using 25% of the server's resources, and their figures are correct, that means that theoretically they could only fit 3 other people using the same amount of resources on that server. So you have 4 people (paying $5-10/mo.) using all the resources on a $250/mo. server. No host can allow that to happen. The same is true with a VPS, which is also a shared CPU environment. There is no host out there that is going to allow you to monopolize a server's resources. Of course, this also assumes their 25% measurement is correct, based on the total system instead of say 1 core, etc. etc.

In that case Xenforo is at fault which consumes so much of CPU without a single member online and all addon disabled.

At present, i have disabled all addon and website is anyways blocked for outside world. Only i am able to use with a whitelist IP and still its showing 35% CPU usage.

So, whom to blame ? Host for tweaked figures or Xenforo itself ?

If Xenforo is all you have running on your site, there is no way you should be using 35% of a server's CPU. I can guarantee you that it is NOT Xenforo causing those figures, particularly if all the add-ons are disabled.

Sounds like Hostgator is using some pretty wacky figures or such. You should ask them (if the techs. ever answer) what exact process they are showing as using all that CPU. They should be able to tell you. But there is no way Xenforo would be using those kinds of resources.

That's why i am concerned. They did this to me 3 times in a row in last one year .

Everytime they blocked my website but didn't provided me clear or transparent facts which would prove that my website is using that much of CPU.

So, i guess moving on to a different shared hosting would solve my issue.

So, the big question is which Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting is economical and provide good/quick support ?

Sorry to say that, but what could you expect from these prices? You get what you pay for, at least mostly...

So, the big question is which Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting is economical and provide good/quick support ?

How much are you paying per month with HG and what do you supposedly get for said amount?

It's an apples to oranges comparison, as the servers are different, I'm sure the figures Hostgator uses are very different, etc., but on one of our E5-1650's (6 physical, 6 logical cores), we have 4 XF forums hosted that I am aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more, but I'm personally aware of 4. They aren't huge by any means. There are about 4,000-6,000 members on each forum.

COMBINED they use 0.66% of the 6 physical cores (didn't count the HT cores at all) on a daily basis. That's with plenty of visitors, add-ons, etc. So if a site with no users and no add-ons is using 35% of the server's CPU, there's something incredibly wrong.

It's an apples to oranges comparison, as the servers are different, I'm sure the figures Hostgator uses are very different, etc., but on one of our E5-1650's (6 physical, 6 logical cores), we have 4 XF forums hosted that I am aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more, but I'm personally aware of 4. They aren't huge by any means. There are about 4,000-6,000 members on each forum.
This is an htop screen capture of my L5639 that is running 2 XF forums, 4 myBB forums, 2 WP sites and a Coppermine Gallery (yes, it's only been up for 4 days. I rebooted recently because I wanted to use the new kernel that had been installed and had forgotten to when I ran an update).

screenshot.webp

This is of my other server - load is higher but it runs munin to monitor all my other servers and VPS's and munin-graph can get to be resource intensive (but only uses 1 of the CPU's).

screenshot1.webp

Last edited:
Right!

My slow forum has 80,000 pages per month loaded - all XF and WP. This sits on a VPS with part of one core and 1GB of RAM. In terms of server load it's usually 0.02 or something like that. CPU use is almost nothing - maybe bursting to 10% (that is probably just the VPS slice of CPU, not the server)....

Putting it another way, that 80K pages per month generally means from 0-6 active visitors on the site at one time - and from 1 to 8 pages being loaded per minute.

XF itself cannot be at fault. But your settings for mysql could...as well as other things.

Although I concur with the bad service, it's up to you or someone you hire to make sure the XF installation is functioning correctly. You cannot just install these scripts and then cross your fingers.

How much are you paying per month with HG and what do you supposedly get for said amount?

$25 per month.

But its most surprising that they never offered for an upgrdae and directly quoting us for a dedicated server. Running asingle Ad-Free forum with 35000 unique visitors per month on a dedicated server. Isn't this insane deal ?

I don't think they are offering reseller hosting.
OK.. let me get this straight. You want reseller hosting so YOU can let other people also have sites set up?
And you don't expect THEIR use to impact YOUR site (and any restrictions placed on your account)?

Top Bottom