Participants leaving a conversation & removing them from one

dutchbb

When a participant leaves a conversation, his user name still appears to the other participants in the list. Is this a bug or is it as designed? I think the latter but wanted to be sure.

The suggestion is, I have conversations where I need to remove certain users I included when starting it. For example advertisers that stop advertising should no longer have access to a private conversation they once were a participant of.

Upvote 40
It's as designed.

They don't have access to the conversation after they are removed but they remain in the participation list because they at one time participated (or could have). The should be some sort of indicator though if the person is no longer an active participant.

The should be some sort of indicator though if the person is no longer an active participant.
The problem with this is when people choose to leave a conversation but don't want to 'announce' that they have left, the indicator would give that away (which they may not necessarily want). An example would be the automatic welcome conversations that you can set in the ACP, you wouldn't want new users that these are sent to to see you have left the conversation. I guess a way around it could be a 'notify I have left' additional option when leaving a conversation.

If someone leaves a conversation but keeps "Accept future messages" checked then I don't think it's necessary to let other participants know about it (because he'll automatically rejoin the conversation when a new message is sent).

But if someone leaves a conversation and chooses "Ignore future messages" then I think the other participants should be able to find out about it. I wouldn't go as far as notifying them but I'd appreciate a subtle indicator in the box "Conversation participants".

Maybe strike-through the username? (And change the default CSS for banned users to strike-through + red.)

Last edited:
Lack of ability to remove a user from a conversation started by admin doesn't seem to make sense. On forums with several hundred thousand users and coming/going moderators, it's a necessity when a moderator is removed from staff and they need to leave (but don't want to) a moderators-only conversation.

I agree it doesn't. It is not lifelike either: in real life, participants leave conversations not only when they want to, but also when they're asked to because they've been invited to join the conversation for a limited stretch of time: staying in the room beyond that stretch would in fact violate the privacy of the other participants.

Lack of ability to remove a user from a conversation started by admin doesn't seem to make sense. On forums with several hundred thousand users and coming/going moderators, it's a necessity when a moderator is removed from staff and they need to leave (but don't want to) a moderators-only conversation.
Exactly what I am facing now! It's a PIA.

Thanks. Recently I almost decided to purchase that but, while I have no problem purchasing addons, that addon offers too many things of which I just need this one basic option. So, I was concerned about the performance of my already overloaded site on a shared server.

Should be changed. People can talk not knowing someone left, and also, it may prevent others from participating if they think someone is still there they don't want to talk to.

They should be removed from the "list" (the names under the title and also seen in the nav dropdown)
They could stay in the participants box but they need "Left conversation" next to their name (regarding the permanent option). Also, if they can rejoin with a reply that should be addressed with language as well. Snoozed Muted, etc.

At least something to know, it's odd to leave them as participants when they are not. Name greyed out, italics, "Left conversation" underneath.

Last edited:
I got into an argument with a forum member today because he sent me multiple messages and I didn't respond. This turned out to be because I had left the conversation and he didn't get it. Bizarre that at least no notification is given when someone leaves the conversation.

Top Bottom