Resource icon

Page as portal homepage

I'd like some kind of scrolling news type thing, photos and articles.

That's what widgets ARE. They're not just the little side boxes. Most widgets have multiple "view" options (e.g. simple, full, expanded, etc).

You can put the latest post widget in the centre position and it's then a list of yoru forums latest posts. You can stick the gallery widget there for photos, etc.

Thank you for explaining that! I clearly need to learn more about widgets :) What I meant was wanting different info on the home page to that of the forum - I think I maybe need the articles add on. Can I use that and have widgets as well? ie a bit of both? Currently any widgets I've added are all underneath each other on the left - can't work how to get any on the right side of the page.

screen-shot-2017-09-17-at-15-13-17-png.158140

Ok thanks - I can see that now.

One other thing. I would like my website to open onto the forums page and just see the home page by clicking on home. So I set it back to forums/. Then it won't open the home page at all. So I suppose I need to alter something else to make the home tab open the home page.

There's the "navigation section" option (see screenshot above) and the "index page route" as two separate things. I think you're asking for your index page route to remain as the forums so just clear that back to what it was (or leave blank).

Thanks yes I put index page route back to forums - so it now lands on the forums page. But if I click on the home tab the home page doesn't open now. I've just purchased AMS and might use that as the home page. Or might not and still have a separate home page. Basically I've decided I want an "extra" page under the home button rather than a home landing page.

Thanks very much for all the help - much appreciated - I am on a steep learning curve! But done a lot in less than a week :-)

I've followed the tutorial but when I click on forums, or go to website.com/forums it just redirects to home and I can't get to the forums. Any ideas?

I've followed the tutorial but when I click on forums, or go to website.com/forums it just redirects to home and I can't get to the forums. Any ideas?
I saw you posting in the ACE thread, and that's probably what's doing it. You'll need to go into your settings and change the forum page back to its default.

I saw you posting in the ACE thread, and that's probably what's doing it. You'll need to go into your settings and change the forum page back to its default.
Yeah tried disabling ACE and still not having it! I’ll try with a fresh install

Yeah this works fine. Thanks.
looks like ACE is not playing nice
It would work as intended if you hadn't changed your index route, i.e. you would see their filters when clicking on your forums link. Personally, I wouldn't replace my regular forums with it, though, as I think it just isn't intuitive for users.

It would work as intended if you hadn't changed your index route, i.e. you would see their filters when clicking on your forums link. Personally, I wouldn't replace my regular forums with it, though, as I think it just isn't intuitive for users.
I’m just playing with it on a non-live site at the moment but I think it would work for people that aren’t used to forums. Hoping I can set it up eventually so the current users see the forum list by default and the new users see a feed of recent activity

I’m just playing with it on a non-live site at the moment but I think it would work for people that aren’t used to forums. Hoping I can set it up eventually so the current users see the forum list by default and the new users see a feed of recent activity
Well, it's going to largely be a matter of personal taste, of course. I just don't think the majority of members are going to be more interested in filtering by reaction scores or curated content over finding particular forums and threads on a regular basis, especially when they don't know the criteria you're using for curated content. Also, if you're allowing filtering by threads/posts, it doesn't work the way the average user will expect: if you order by date, for example, it isn't going to display all the content created by date, as it would when you filter by date on the nodes, it instead filters by date your curated content and it doesn't update automatically.

Got it working however how can I add things in the header submenu because that is now empty which makes my header look a bit weird.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 21-16-37 Onderwerpen gestart door Rocco Vidal.webpScreenshot 2021-12-11 at 21-16-54 Voorpagina.webp

Cheers

Top Bottom