[OzzModz] SEO & Index Tools [Deleted]

I’m trying to get the bugs/issues fixed but I’m having staff communication failure for the past couple of weeks.
I know the feeling. We have a large team as well and it is not easy. I would suggest using Trello and Slack if you don't already.

It isn't a bait and switch, as @Nulumia did not intend for this add-on to be in development for so long. The issue is that it was underestimated.

It is a general rule that you do not install software that is in development unless you are able to take the risk or troubleshoot it yourself. If you are able to, it is fine to ignore it... But the fact that more than a few people who have had issues did not even take backups prior to installing is very telling in their ability to troubleshoot the issues that come up.

SEO is only important if you can keep your site running properly.

I do not run any in-development software on my live site unless I've vetted it on a test install, and have taken thorough backups and steps to ensure there are no issues. With an add-on like this it is not worth taking that risk as the impact will be negligible and it can wait until it's fully released 🤷‍♂️.

The bolded is extremely important especially on sites that depend on User Generated Content. I've built other sites that were easy to restore from a backup because the content was largely static. When you have 1000 post generated between the time you install an add-on and the time you experienced the bug it becomes much harder to do the restore from backup. You have to weigh your options between rolling back and upsetting users or dealing with the buggy add-on.

This add-on taught me a valuable lesson and it's to never install untested software or even slightly buggy software in my production environment. I now run a test environment and a deploy it there, test, and then move to production. It's just too much a risk and as my site grows it doesn't make sense to take those financial risks.

This add-on taught me a valuable lesson and it's to never install untested software or even slightly buggy software in my production environment.
It's true and it avoids seeing bugs hampering the smooth running of your forum. However, the difficulty with this add-on is that it concerns SEO optimization and that it is therefore impossible to test its effectiveness on a forum on a local server... This add-on is badly born and badly brought up. now in a reformatory but the work to put him back on the right track seems difficult. So personally the lesson I learned here is not to install beta add-ons on a forum in production but more simply not to buy beta add-ons...

It's true and it avoids seeing bugs hampering the smooth running of your forum. However, the difficulty with this add-on is that it concerns SEO optimization and that it is therefore impossible to test its effectiveness on a forum on a local server... This add-on is badly born and badly brought up. now in a reformatory but the work to put him back on the right track seems difficult. So personally the lesson I learned here is not to install beta add-ons on a forum in production but more simply not to buy beta add-ons...
Very true but I think there is a distinction between the stability of the add-on and the effectiveness of the add-on. We would not have been able to test the effectiveness of the add-on but we absolute could have tested its stability. Reason I bring that up is because I don't want someone thinking that installing buggy, experimental, or beta software is a "must" if it's SEO related.

but more simply not to buy beta add-ons...
Yes I have also learned that lesson. You think you are being helpful as a beta tester, but in this case it seems you are just taken for a ride.

But I'm happy Ozzy has now taken it over and fingers crossed that it will now be salvaged and will become useable on a live environment.

Yes I have also learned that lesson. You think you are being helpful as a beta tester, but in this case it seems you are just taken for a ride.
Especially when the reward for all this is to pay the add-on a second time... But we have already talked about it and I accept willy-nilly the decisions of the new team. The only thing is that I would never have had the chance to take advantage of it, my first license has not been valid for a few days and I do not intend to buy a new license.

Know what is really bad for SEO, and communities? Downtime from dumb mistakes. Smaller sites will be back up and running in an hour or two if they took a backup and know what they are doing (read when issues first started, and you see many people do not always take backups 🙃). Medium or larger sites will have way more issues, and if they do not have backups (unlikely, as once you get to that point you have a lot more to lose) the potential loss is significant.

Also, has the effectiveness of this add-on actually been tested with proper A/B testing? A lot of research goes into doing proper SEO/UI/UX improvements, and while this add-on does add a lot of utility or minor improvements it does not mean there is a significant effect. A hundred minor improvements can add up to .1% overall improvement.

In its current state there is nothing worth risking a website over, even if it offers good utilities for content.

1. Reimbursing new licenses
  2. Right clicking + deleting on the cursed Nulumia SEO dev folder
  3. Taking a week's vacation with the entire Snog team in Hawaii.
  4. Move on...
:cool:

Top Bottom