XF 1.4 Out of memory when trying to load the reports page (4,000 reports)

imthebest

I have around 4,000 reports. When I try to load mysite.com/reports I get the following error:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5447274 bytes) - library/WidgetFramework/Core.php:354
Generated By: Moderator, 15 minutes ago
Stack Trace

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(34) "http://www.mysite.com/reports/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

I know it's related to an add-on, but maybe the fact that there are 4,000 reports being listed (with no pagination) is making the situation worst? By the way, I do not understand why there is no pagination on the reports list.

Reactions: Xon
Pagination isn't really feasible due to permission overhead.

You're never really going to action 4000 reports so they probably need to be bulk resolved (or removed) via the database.

Well, trust me, on really busy forums you can achieve 4,000 pending reports in a few months...

So pagination is impossible to implement on the reports page? Why!? I really don't understand the "permission overhead" part... could you please explain a bit more?

By the way, what is the problem here? XenForo itself or Widget Framework add-on?

The problem is that you allocate not enough memory to PHP for your needs. Raise this setting and it will work.

Also the current reporting system does not scale well and 4000 reports is way too much for it.

If you find that the report center isn't suitable for your needs, change it so reported content goes into an automatically created thread in a staff only forum.

You're never really going to action 4000 reports so they probably need to be bulk resolved (or removed) via the database.
4000 is a bit much but many hands make light work. 500 open reports is not unheard of for my site. we get it down to 0 once in a while.
Does this mean that I will run into similar problems if I use xenforo report center after migration?

Well 4000 is (almost) an order of magnitude more than 500 so there's a significant difference there. I suppose it's possible you may run into something, but this is the only time I recall a report about this particular error so it's certainly not a common issue.

In times where we get overrun by reports and low staff availability it will run up higher, though never to 4000.
I will use the report center and see what happens. I hope that scalability of moderation queues will be considered for future versions of XF.

Reactions: HWS
It's worth noting that one report is displayed per item of content.

So if your high numbers of reports are often duplicate reports of the same content, then that is shown as a single report and therefore will only count as 1.

This is why the figure of 4,000 somewhat baffles me...

So just to make it clear... is the error being reported on the first post a XenForo issue or a Widget Framework issue?

And Mike, could you please elaborate why you can't include pagination on the report center? What does permissions have to do with this feature?

I disabled the Widget Framework and the error is still present:

Code:
Server Error Log
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5592907 bytes) - internal_data/templates/S.1,L.2,PAGE_CONTAINER.php:2493
Generated By: Moderator, a moment ago
Stack Trace

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(34) "http://www.mysite.com/reports/"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

So pagination is impossible to implement on the reports page? Why!? I really don't understand the "permission overhead" part... could you please explain a bit more?

And Mike, could you please elaborate why you can't include pagination on the report center? What does permissions have to do with this feature?

Please Mike could you explain a bit more about why pagination can't be implemented on the reports page?

Asking the same question over and over wont help get it answered faster.

Not every moderator can see every report as its filtered by prrmissions. Pagination complicates that in out of those 4k reports, you in theory could have a moderator that can only see 1 report on the last page. There's no way to know that without excessive over head (current filtering makes sense). If you filter post pagination you in theory could have 199 pages of empty content or varying page length.

All of which is bad UX. Extreme page loads, varying lengths or empty pages.

Thanks for the clarification Jeremy.

So in other words the Report Center doesn't scale well.
I guess I'll have to switch back to the old but more reliable reports to a forum mode...

So in other words the Report Center doesn't scale well.
I guess I'll have to switch back to the old but more reliable reports to a forum mode...
I suspect that it does scale to some extent but, as you confirmed here:

I agree there might be a moderation issue but again I dont understand why there is no pagination on the report center....
your issue is with efficient moderation on your forums. I think your best recourse is to address this and then see how the Report Center deals with a more normal amount of reports.

Top Bottom