OS X Yosemite Public Beta

Already got it. Perks of being a developer :D

Downloaded but not installed yet. If anyone gets it first go on somewhere like the MacRumors forums and read opinions as generally with the first OS X beta it breaks a bunch of apps. The same with iOS8.

I've avoided iOS8 and will do for a few weeks. Most apps are completely broken right now.

It's about time Apple did this. Windows 7 and Windows 8 both had long preview/beta stages and they were both probably the most stable Windows releases ever.

Shame the Win 8 uptake wasn't as successful as the beta program!

(Sorry...couldn't resist :P)

I was debating on signing up or not... but my Mac is my main system now and I can't take a chance on it getting borked beyond use for any length of time. I have a Surface Pro 2, but it's a little small to do what I do with the Mac on it.

Thanks.

Just signed up.

It's about time Apple did this. Windows 7 and Windows 8 both had long preview/beta stages and they were both probably the most stable Windows releases ever.

Now, if only they did it with iOS too...
Yeah... I think Tim Cook is a little more relaxed than what Steve was.

@RickM - You've to pay $99/yr to for the developer program, right?
That's correct.

I was debating on signing up or not... but my Mac is my main system now and I can't take a chance on it getting borked beyond use for any length of time. I have a Surface Pro 2, but it's a little small to do what I do with the Mac on it.
By the time the public beta comes out, it'll be a little more polished off, no doubt.

I've signed up for the public beta too. When can I expect it to be available?
Afaik, the public beta will be available in “Summer” (June 21st onwards) – I've got a developer account so I'll be downloading at the end of this week (I'll be running it on my primary machine) – at least you'll be comfortable knowing most of the issues will be ironed out before the public get it.

Yeah you'll probably see a couple of developer-only betas to get the big/obvious bugs sorted out. Then the pubic beta will follow on from that. To be honest most OS X beta's have been very stable in the past so it'll probably not be too far away.

Screenshot from 2014-06-03 09:46:43.webp

In case any one hasn't seen Yosemite (or iOS 8) yet:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Got them running on my devices also. No major issues. I have seen though on my iPhone that I can't get back to the home screen without turning the screen off and turning it back on.

Downloaded + installed Yosemite, posting from it now.

For a DP1, it's surprisingly stable and polished. Most of the UI bugs I've found so far are related to fullscreen Finder and transparency. The new Safari (8.0) is quite nice, and I really like the new icons (especially Finder and Trash). However, the new iTunes/iTunes icon is not included in DP1, not even with the 11.2.2 update.

Downloaded + installed Yosemite, posting from it now.

For a DP1, it's surprisingly stable and polished. Most of the UI bugs I've found so far are related to fullscreen Finder and transparency. The new Safari (8.0) is quite nice, and I really like the new icons (especially Finder and Trash). However, the new iTunes/iTunes icon is not included in DP1, not even with the 11.2.2 update.

I'd imagine we'll see iTunes 12 released when Yosemite releases - might be why the icon's not been updated in the DP yet.

How have you found the visibility of the new UI? I've downloaded it from my dev account but not yet installed it in fear that it'll be too...bland and hard to read, like iOS 7 was to begin with.

I'd imagine we'll see iTunes 12 released when Yosemite releases - might be why the icon's not been updated in the DP yet.

How have you found the visibility of the new UI? I've downloaded it from my dev account but not yet installed it in fear that it'll be too...bland and hard to read, like iOS 7 was to begin with.
It's not that bad, actually. I find things readable. If you've used Safari on iOS 7 and seen the slightly transparent toolbars, it's virtually identical on Yosemite. It's nothing like the transparency from the early days of OS X, which was overly excessive. This is much more muted and not used everywhere like it used to be. It's limited mainly to toolbars, sidebars and the menu bar (and the latter can still be turned off).

It's really quite stable for a DP1, and you can now log in with your Apple account instead of a local account, very similar to what you can do with Win8. (Although this may have been a feature in Mavs, but I don't remember it being offered).

Aesthetics wise, there are still many icons that Apple will need to update or replace to bring them in line with Yosemite, and some apps, such as iBooks, are still drawing their own custom traffic lights instead of using the new standard system ones.

Top Bottom