Original XF Images

digitalpoint

Is there a graphics dev kit for the original XF images anywhere by chance?

I'm *hoping* they are vector based because I wanted to make a set of SVG versions.

I like the Marketplace stuff. Curious to see more of this and how it works.
So a user can place a product into a thread and put a "For Sale" button onto it? Like a shop-system?

Yep... the XF system is based on our vB system (with some added improvements I made while I was rebuilding it for XF).

But you can kind of see how an auction for a domain works here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2436509

The XF version looks more like this:
Image%202012.04.02%2010:04:48%20PM.png

Would you be willing to sell this as an Add-on?
Definitely not before my site is live with it. All this stuff I'm doing is primarily for my own site... not because I have any desire to get into the add-on business. Once my site is live, I'll start looking at what stuff would be realistic to let others use.

Definitely not before my site is live with it. All this stuff I'm doing is primarily for my own site... not because I have any desire to get into the add-on business. Once my site is live, I'll start looking at what stuff would be realistic to let others use.

so if I understand correctly, you want to have your code exclusively limited to your site only? Which is understandable of course.
Just wanted to know if we should wait for Add-on releases of some of your items (e.g. Marketplace) or whether we should move on and ask other coders to code some similar stuff.

Thanks!

so if I understand correctly, you want to have your code exclusively limited to your site only? Which is understandable of course.
Just wanted to know if we should wait for Add-on releases of some of your items (e.g. Marketplace) or whether we should move on and ask other coders to code some similar stuff.

Thanks!
Some stuff I'll make available... Just not sure what yet (or when). The plan is to not think about it until MY site is live with the stuff (that's the reason I'm doing all this). At that point I can start figuring out what things I'll split out/package up/use phrase system.
Why your addons not here in resource manager?
Some are. The ones that's aren't there is because I have not uploaded them.

Wow, that thread drag and drop is pretty awesome. Very interested in seeing how DP looks once it's switched over to xenforo. Now if I could only find a couple of used XF licenses on the site.....

Yeah... it was something I had planned to do already (have a base color that scales to light/dark or maybe a hue variation based on the score... like green for 100%, red for 0%, and a blend of red <-> green for everything in between). There's a lot of cosmetic things along those lines that are on my "to-do" list (it's why I just borrowed the CSS colors for them from the Alexa/Links on the domain sale page). But right now, the main priority is getting the underlying functionality with everything working

Yeah... it was something I had planned to do already (have a base color that scales to light/dark or maybe a hue variation based on the score... like green for 100%, red for 0%, and a blend of red <-> green for everything in between). There's a lot of cosmetic things along those lines that are on my "to-do" list (it's why I just borrowed the CSS colors for them from the Alexa/Links on the domain sale page). But right now, the main priority is getting the underlying functionality with everything working

Good to hear. I'm sure you will be doing this already (maybe not) but I thought i'd mention it anyway on the chance you don't. If you notice the lips on each side they are the same colouring as the stroke where the buyer/seller is contained. I'd personally ensure the lips are always slightly darker variant of the colour your planning to use if that makes sense.

buyersellermodded.webp

Good to hear. I'm sure you will be doing this already (maybe not) but I thought i'd mention it anyway on the chance you don't. If you notice the lips on each side they are the same colouring as the stroke where the buyer/seller is contained. I'd personally ensure the lips are always slightly darker variant of the colour your planning to use if that makes sense.
Yeah, I haven't put much thought into it yet... but that's a good idea. I more or less borrowed the CSS that XF uses for the "New" tag on the right side of new posts. Once I get into the mode of actually cleaning it up cosmetically, I'll see what I can do. I was planning on using a gradient on the main area, so it might make the color variation a moot point anyway. We'll see what happens when I'm in graphics mode, and not programmer mode. :)

I found some pretty decent pre-made vector icons (including emoticons)...

http://www.icons-land.com/base-software-vector-icons.php
http://www.icons-land.com/vector-emoticons.php

I'm tossing around the idea of licensing them and using them for my forum... but it seems Illustrator CS5 and Inkscape both have problems with partially opaque gradients when saving them as an SVG...

As an example, the original vs. what it becomes as an SVG with Illustrator or Inkscape:
Image%202012.04.18%204:08:46%20PM.png

I don't really want to pay for commercial icons when I'd have to go in and clean them up manually... blah.

Anyone know of a GOOD tool to convert Illustrator images to SVG? Or better yet, know of a good set of icons that can be licensed that are already in SVG format?

Yep... the XF system is based on our vB system (with some added improvements I made while I was rebuilding it for XF).

But you can kind of see how an auction for a domain works here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2436509

The XF version looks more like this:
Image%202012.04.02%2010:04:48%20PM.png

Shawn,
What do you do to display the chart like that? Is it using the same XF chart library or you using some external one?

Hmmmm... well an "exact" how-to is probably outside the scope of what I can even try to explain... But at a high-level, it's getting the raw data via direct Google AdSense Analytics API calls, caching the results in memcache (no point in querying the same data over and over), doing some "massaging" of the data as returned from the API and turning it into JavaScript arrays for plotting it within High Charts.

You can find docs for the Analytics and High Charts stuff here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/v3/
http://www.highcharts.com/ref/

So back to what this thread was actually about...

With the retina display MacBook Pro coming out, I got to thinking about this again since now it's more than just (mostly) cell phones that are going to benefit from vector images. So as a test I used a SVG image for a smiley (compared to the normal one)...

I have a SVG file with 48 emoticon sprites on it and the file size comes in at 90KB for all 48 emoticons. So I should be able to reduce it down to 10 or so smilies and get the file size down to 15-20KB.

At normal size:

Image%202012.06.15%2012:04:49%20PM.png

Zoomed in (or also what you would get with cell phones or other high density displays):

Image%202012.06.15%2012:04:38%20PM.png

Top Bottom