.org or .net for a forum?

cdub

I run a decently successful forum. However - the main reason that the people come to the site isn't what the domain url is as it's purpose has changed over the years.

So I'm thinking of buying a new domain for this forum that would be a better match for what the main topic is.

Let's say it's bacon. (it isn't)

Bacon.com is taken and parked with just a "buy this domain" link. I tried to buy it with what I thought was a reasonable amount and they came back with a ridiculous counter offer of 1 million. Yes one million.

Anyways... that leaves the following...

bacon.org and bacon.net

The other extensions are worthless.

bacon.org is already in use with a site up but it seems to be a static info site that never changes. It comes up on the 7th page of a google search for that term. (my site currently is page 12 for that term)

bacon.net is taken and is up if you go to it but is just an image. No rank whatsoever in google.

So if I was to buy one which should it be?

Or will having a domain with only the keyword bacon in it make no difference in how my site is ranked in google and thus this is a worthless purchase.

When you search google for the terms in my domain it comes up as the first response on google. However that keyword isn't the main topic of the site anymore as that has organically changed in the 16 years I've had it.

So my thinking is... if I move my forums to a more keyword accurate domain which matches the content of my site - my rank will scoot way up to the first or second page of results when you search for that term...

there is alot of competition for the keyword however...

Last edited:
But it's not a new community though - it's an old community. I'm looking to get a more appropriate domain name for it.

.net

Get to it.

I'm leaning towards that the .net - especially since there isn't a site already built for it so it'll be a mostly fresh slate to move my old community to it.

That being said - how does one move the community? My current domain gets top ranking in certain searches and I don't want to lose that rank.

Do I simply redirect the old url to the new one? Or do I leave the old community up as read only and have a link on it saying that we moved to the new domain which then has the live site?

This is getting way ahead of myself since I haven't purchased another domain yet - but it is a question I have been wondering about.

I'm leaning towards that the .net - especially since there isn't a site already built for it so it'll be a mostly fresh slate to move my old community to it.
Yep, good choice. :)
That being said - how does one move the community? My current domain gets top ranking in certain searches and I don't want to lose that rank.
Don't worry about ranking right now, your first priority is to migrate your forums over to the new xenForo forums. Use the new domain as a staging for your new xenForo forum. Import everything over to the xenForo forum. Once you're finished with the import, and making sure the import worked, go ahead and place a redirect to the new domain.
Do I simply redirect the old url to the new one? Or do I leave the old community up as read only and have a link on it saying that we moved to the new domain which then has the live site?
That doesn't do anything yet. It only works when you're working on migrating to a new domain, software, and such.
This is getting way ahead of myself since I haven't purchased another domain yet - but it is a question I have been wondering about.
Buy the domain. Now.

adding a prefix or create a similar domain name like, iwantbacon.com a possible alternative with a redirect from your old domain name?

Don't worry about ranking right now, your first priority is to migrate your forums over to the new xenForo forums. Use the new domain as a staging for your new xenForo forum. Import everything over to the xenForo forum. Once you're finished with the import, and making sure the import worked, go ahead and place a redirect to the new domain.

That doesn't do anything yet. It only works when you're working on migrating to a new domain, software, and such.

The current forum is on Xenforo btw.

adding a prefix or create a similar domain name like, iwantbacon.com a possible alternative with a redirect from your old domain name?
That's a lovely idea.
The current forum is on Xenforo btw.
Good, now the next step is putting THAT xenForo forum on the new domain and then set htaccess redirects or a simple domain redirect. A lot of people here would prefer htacess or plugin redirect.

Note: I'm sorry, I had assume you were getting ready to move your forum to xenForo, and staging that on a new domain. :oops:

Nah - I want just the keyword only in the domain. Otherwise there's not much point in my opinion. Go big or go home. :)

I put in an offer on the .net - who knows if they'll sell it - but the website's doing nothing for them right now. It's literally just an image.

Hopefully if I am able to get it - it'll improve the exposure my current forums and it'll make the money back soon enough with ad sales.

In my experience trying to buy domains already in use it is unlikely you will get either- You should try making contact and getting quotes for both- you will be lucky if you can get either for a reasonable price.

Domains already in use (even if you only see a picture) are VERY unlikely to be sold. You don't know for what it's used to. There may be hidden pages or even email only usage.

You should look for a domain that states "For Sale" or a new domain.

A very common word with .com can easily reach a value of up to 1 million $. It makes no sense to offer just several 100 $ for it.

Domains already in use (even if you only see a picture) are VERY unlikely to be sold.
Oh, I don't know. I've got my filthy hands on many domains just because I asked if the owner would consider selling. I used to buy and sell a lot of domains, and my biggest sale ever ($19,000) was a domain I bought from an inactive site for $150. I got that domain because I asked for it.

I've sold a few the same way. Domains I had no intention of selling, but wasn't really using when someone came along with a reasonable offer. Sayonara domain!

I can tell you when it's 100% impossible to buy a domain: when you don't ask if it's for sale.

Top Bottom