.org or .net for a forum?

i'm not a big fan of anything that isn't a .com, .net or .org
I'm the same way. For now. But it's likely that 10 years from now the kids won't know what you're talking about when you say dot com. Or if they do they'll think, "Oh yeah, that's how my dad gets to that Facebook thing."

The new extensions are eventually going to change the way everyone thinks about website addresses, and buying short names as (some of) the new extensions become available is just thinking ahead. Unlike the country code TLDs, at least the new extensions have some meaning. To people who read English, anyway.

Ultimately extensions will probably be replaced by something we haven't even thought of yet, and our old-timer's CULT OF COM NET ORG will fade away into memory.

So I was unsuccessful in purchasing bacon.net. (owner never got back to me) Giving bacon.org a shot even though it already has a website up for it. Hasn't been updated in ages though.

I have purchased bacontalk.com and bacontalk.net but I'm not sure those will be any better in improving the focus and search hits of the site than the current url.

Hmmm...

fyi "bacon" is a placeholder and not the real url for those just tuning in.

I've also purchased the bacon.club domain too just for s & giggles. (for one year until I decide what to do with this whole thing)

I know the domain name doesn't help too much with SEO - my concern is how it helps with people's expectations about what the site will be about.

If people go to sausage.com and find that most of the content is about bacon then there'd be alot of bounces. I'm trying to minimize that.

I'd go with bacontalk.com

To me somethng less generic than just bacon.com actually sounds better: more like a brand or trademark which is a good thing IMO. Especially when coupled with an interesting logo.

I think the bacon part of it will show as highlighted in the search result list.

Last edited:
I was in a similar boat to you, changed my community name to reflect a more memorable domain name to: animeforums.net which I acquired for a reasonable price.

anime.com and anime.net was definitely out of the question for me (way too competitive and for my niche too generic anyway).

We don't know what your true keyword is so it's a bit difficult to make suggestions on something that is memorable, but how about baconforums.org or baconforums.net ? :)

Hmmm... What if I spin off the "bacon" related topics into a new forum on bacontalk.com and refocus the original site back to the original topic of the site?

That way I'll have two forums now focused on topics relevant to their domain name.

The .org people came back with an counter offer that was way more reasonable than the $1mil .com offer... but still more than I'm willing to pay.

So I'm going to go with the bacontalk.com. or.net... I own both.

Once this whole ordeal is done with I'll let you know the real site URL. I just didn't want anything to interfere with the negotiations. :)

My plan is to split the bacon part of the site into the bacontalk.com (or .net - which would you use? .net)

And then leave the "sausage" haha - part of the site as it currently is.. as the site has a long history in dealing with "sausage" ha.

I think this may work well, ie having two kore focussed sites instead of one, but have you discusses with your members how they feel about suddenly being on two forums.

If you have done your marketing homework I'm sure it will work out but the folks who are interested in bacon as well as sausages may have preferred one forum e.g.porkproducts.com

I think this may work well, ie having two kore focussed sites instead of one, but have you discusses with your members how they feel about suddenly being on two forums.

If you have done your marketing homework I'm sure it will work out but the folks who are interested in bacon as well as sausages may have preferred one forum e.g.porkproducts.com

haha - there's only a limit that my analogy will take it I guess.

iveregisteredbacondotcomnetandorg.com

z429a209d2bf5a1e338000.gif

Well.. the "bacon".org people want to sell to me now for my last offer. Go figure. It's a good chunk of change. Thinking about it.

Top Bottom