Lack of interest Option to Enable and Disable Nofollow

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Techie

Right now xenForo has nofollow enabled for all external links and there isn't a user friendly way to turn it off. If a webmaster is moderating his/her community very well there's no reason to have nofollow on and it's just an extra incentive to members to post if nofollow is turned off. Do you think this could be added as a small feature?

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Or just for regular people too. There's no use to having nofollow enabled unless you're letting spam on your forum. It's not like you can sculpt your pagerank or anything.

I've noticed some recent discussions about links and nofollow and I think it was mentioned that all links have a nofollow attribute unless the link is posted by an administrator.

If you're concerned about nofollow, you're probably also concerned about sites gaining credit for links etc, so could we have an option to specify exceptions where the nofollow attribute isn't applied?

It could be an ACP option where all links are nofollowed unless the link is in a 'trusted' list of sites that don't apply the nofollow. Examples may include Wikipedia, BBC News, etc.

Part of the reason for creating my board was to give exposure to charities and local business. I really want all of my links (signature links / forum posts) to not have the no-follow attribute.

I'll fight spam with customisations, but It's more important to me that the forum community benefits

It would be nice to have an option to alow "dofollow" (or even promote certain groups to have do-follow sig/forum links)

For now, I've customised my board to allow all links to be non nofollow

If people know about their subject, and the subject is realted to my forum, then every time they write content about it, they deserve the back link.

If you want to allow "dofollow" links, then you can do as I did

Update the file:
\library\XenForo\BbCode\Formatter\Base.php

Change the line 884:

else
{
// $noFollow = (empty($rendererStates['noFollowDefault']) ? '' : ' rel="nofollow"'); // comment this out and add:
$noFollow = '';
}

It's possible without file change.
http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/remove-nofollow-from-admin-mod-urls.360/#post-1497

PHP:
<?php

class Ragtek_RNF_Model extends 
    XFCP_Ragtek_RNF_Model
// XenForo_Model_User
{

public function prepareUser(array $user)
    {
        $user = parent::prepareUser($user);

$user['isTrusted'] = false;
        return $user;
    }
}

because the isTrusted flag isn't used anywhere else, it's ok to change it ATM (don't know what they'll do with it in the feature;)

can we please hve this as an "option" in ACP ?
for one of my Forums I would like to have search-engines to "do follow" the links entered by members.

Maybe I've misunderstood, but URLs posted by administrators and moderators already have the nofollow attribute removed.
Exactly.
THat's why the isTrusted flag is set to true for mods and admins.

And i'm overwriting it with always true with the add-on

It's just the add-on title seems to be what is already the current situation. :confused:
I see what you mean

The title "remove-nofollow-from-admin-mod-urls" suggests that nofollow is removed for admin/mod signatures. This is existing Xenforo functionality.

I think it's just the title that of that thread that needs updating...
[I'm still using my modification for now, until I look into it]

The suggestion was to give the option (from the ACP) for all members to have non no-follow links. Some forums really trust/appreciate/need the content from their contributors. Links (without nofollow) is a good way to reward these site, and I think the philosophy behind these links is a good one

If I've written 10,000 posts on a forum all about "quantum mechanical tunnelling"... Well if I wasn't an expert at post 1, I'm pretty certain I will know quite a bit about the subject by post 10,000
(I could cram my entire Edinburgh Uni Chemistry Masters in about 2 weeks worth of forum posts)
So gaining links from relevant forums should increase your back links (without nofollow), because the more you communicate about your subject, the more you become an expert, the more your site should be an authority on the subject.

In some peoples opinions backlinks are phasing out (I don't wish to go off topic, this is discussed all over the web) but I still think some forum owners want to give something back to their forum members.

It would be nice for Xenforo to provide this option, instead of giving all non admins / mods "no-follow" links, even in their signatures.... (not all forum communities are riddled with spam 'SEO' hired 'link builders')

This would be most useful for new registrations as you could 'nofollow' their first X no. posts to cut down on spam links, with the option removed later as they are promoted to a higher privs. usergroup.

Equally you could have a valuable member who can't resist posting links to his own sites - you could create a No Follow group and enable this option and his links will have no value outsite of the members who can see them.

Just a thought. :D

All links other than those posted by moderators and administrators are already nofollow.

I believe the suggestion has already been made, I'll see if I can find it.

We can only provide support to licensed customers. If you are licensed, please add your forum username to the Forum users page in your Account area and then post in the correct forum.

Top Bottom