Optimal Avatar Size, Format

Andy.N

Many of us are moving from the VB world and we are used to the square, smallish avatar.
With Xenforo using a different format for member card, I'd like to get some recommendation for my members to update their avatar using a specification that will display they pic perfectly in member card, thumbnail avatar, etc

What is the best dimension, format they should use?

The maximum size which is displayed on the profile is 192x384 pixels.

The various avatars used throughout the site are crops and resized versions of that: 96x96, 48x48.

So it really depends on whether you want to utilise all the available space available on the profile page or not but I would say as a minimum they need to use 96x96 for use in the main avatar.

Brogan,
I saw your profile and while the image you uploaded is 384x192, nowhere does it show it fully.
It's cropped in your profile as well.

Take a look at Kier profile page too. So the question is what is the dimension of image holder in profile page.

I think it's just a max-width defined for the profile version of the avatar:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> xenforo.css

Code:
.avatarScaler img
{
    max-width: 192px;
    _width: 192px;
}

That means the height is relative after the width scaled.

Brogan,
I saw your profile and while the image you uploaded is 384x192, nowhere does it show it fully.
It's cropped in your profile as well.
Andy, the max size is 192x384, not 384x192.
I've just uploaded a blank green avatar to demonstrate.

if you open the image in a new tab you will see it is displayed full size.
Anything uploaded outside either of these dimensions will be scaled to fit.

brogan,
I know. but your last avatar has that dimension where it's a landscape pic of you.
That's why I said your full image is cropped in your profile.
Not cropped, scaled.
Anything wider than 192 will be scaled accordingly.

So my usual avatar dimensions are 384x192 and it is scaled to fit my profile which has a max width of 192, hence it becomes 192x96.

Cropping only happens with the square portraits like those in posts, threadbits, and user cards. And the cropping is more like a frame overlay which you can adjust with click+drag when editing your avatar.

Check it now Andy.

I have just changed the file dimensions to 192x96 and you can see that it is being displayed full size if you open the image in a new tab.

Top Bottom