Operating System Question

Vitaly

Hey guys, I was supposed to buy some time ago, but I've been busy now I'm going to crack down on it.
I wanted to buy, like now aha, but I have a question.
I'm going with http://asmallorange.com/hosting/ for hosting.
And I needed some help on what Operating system to get for my server.
laptop : Windows 8 64-bit

I posted this here, since I don't have access to the appropriate forum, my apologies.
I just wanted some help with this before I buy.
Thanks.

Hey guys, I was supposed to buy some time ago, but I've been busy now I'm going to crack down on it.
I wanted to buy, like now aha, but I have a question.
I'm going with http://asmallorange.com/hosting/ for hosting.
And I needed some help on what Operating system to get for my server.
laptop : Windows 8 64-bit

I posted this here, since I don't have access to the appropriate forum, my apologies.
I just wanted some help with this before I buy.
Thanks.
Laptop has nothing to really do with it. I use a Mac Mini, a Windows 8.1 64bit machine, a Windows 7 desktop, a Debian desktop, an Ubuntu 13.10 netbook and Debian min-install (SSH) to do stuff on my site. Your host will already have hosting OS set up if it is shared.
If you are getting a VPS/dedicated from them then either Debian or cenOS are the two flavors of the month. :)

Laptop has nothing to really do with it. I use a Mac Mini, a Windows 8.1 64bit machine, a Windows 7 desktop, a Debian desktop, an Ubuntu 13.10 netbook and Debian min-install (SSH) to do stuff on my site. Your host will already have hosting OS set up if it is shared.
If you are getting a VPS/dedicated from them then either Debian or cenOS are the two flavors of the month. :)
I'm getting a VPS, and for centOS and Debian, I need to download something to run one of those or do I just choose it?

Aha sorry for the noobie questions.

I'm getting a VPS, and for centOS and Debian, I need to download something to run one of those or do I just choose it?

Aha sorry for the noobie questions.
Depends on the hosting provider. Normally you will have 2 options (sometimes 3)
#1 When setting up the account they will have an option to choose the OS
#2 You provision the VPS yourself using templates that they provide
#3 (maybe) you can do a custom install

It's #1, it gives me a drop list of the OS'.
Pick your poison of them. If you are familiar with RPM based systems choose centOS (very stable and used by a LOT of large hosts). If you are familiar with systems that use apt-get (DEB based) then choose either Debian or Ubuntu (depending on which you prefer - I like Debian better myself - as you can tell from my avatar).

Last edited:
Pick your poison of them. If you are familiar with RPM based systems choose centOS (very stable and used by a LOT of large hosts). If you are familiar with systems that use apt-get (DEB based) then choose either Debian or Ubuntu (depending on which you prefer - I like Debian better myself - as you can tell from my avatar).
I'm not really familiar with anything, honestly.
I'm just starting out.
I want to choose CentOS, but I don't know if I need to download anything.
And not much for DEB systems either. I can get/download what is needed.
I'm that special case I would say, where I need specified help aha.
Thanks man.

EDIT: Should I go with Shared Hosting for now?

Last edited:
I'm not really familiar with anything, honestly.
I'm just starting out.
I want to choose CentOS, but I don't know if I need to download anything.
And not much for DEB systems either. I can get/download what is needed.
I'm that special case I would say, where I need specified help aha.
Thanks man.

EDIT: Should I go with Shared Hosting for now?
If you are not familiar with setting up and securing a VPS or dedicated server on the Net, then you need to either get someone who is a sysadmin to administer your server, get a managed system or go with a shared hosting environment (where most of this is already done for you). It's not just a simple matter of installing the OS. You then need to harden it and set up the IPTABLES to secure ports.
Once you choose the OS you want, their system has a template that installs the base OS for you with base SSH logon capabilities (normally). From there you have to install the web server, PHP, etc.

I would suggest that since you are just starting out get a shared plan. Then learn all the ins and outs of a server then when your site gets big enough then switch it over. As @Tracy Perry has said it's not just as simple as installing an OS and off you go. There is a lot of work involved in maintaining a server especially if you don't know what you are doing.

If you are not familiar with setting up and securing a VPS or dedicated server on the Net, then you need to either get someone who is a sysadmin to administer your server, get a managed system or go with a shared hosting environment (where most of this is already done for you). It's not just a simple matter of installing the OS. You then need to harden it and set up the IPTABLES to secure ports.
Once you choose the OS you want, their system has a template that installs the base OS for you with base SSH logon capabilities (normally). From there you have to install the web server, PHP, etc.
I would suggest that since you are just starting out get a shared plan. Then learn all the ins and outs of a server then when your site gets big enough then switch it over. As @Tracy Perry has said it's not just as simple as installing an OS and off you go. There is a lot of work involved in maintaining a server especially if you don't know what you are doing.
I'm getting a small shared server for now.
You think that'll be fine?
And that's what I'm going to do, learn all the ins and outs of a server.

A shared account you don't have any control over anything. Which is perfect for someone starting out. That way you get used to running your website. Once you feel comfortable with that then learn how to do a server just get you the small $5.00 a month VPS plan at DigitalOcean to learn cause it's easy to fix if you mess up. That way you can learn while not breaking the bank. Read tutorials ask questions will be the best thing you can do. @Tracy Perry and others are very knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff. Sure most people will be happy to help.

Top Bottom