XF 2.1 Open Graph image not working on Facebook anymore...

Sal Collaziano

Hey anything changed that might have caused the Open Graph image to not work anymore? I haven't made any changes other than upgrading to the latest version of the software. If nobody else is having a problem then I'll assume it's just something to do with my installation...

It's managed hosting but it seems more and more tasks are requiring extra charges......

In any event, they're working with me on this, at least somewhat, and lead me to a link where I added the following code to my .htaccess file:

Code:
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
  # Compress HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Text, XML and fonts
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/vnd.ms-fontobject
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-opentype
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-otf
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-truetype
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-font-ttf
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/opentype
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/otf
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE font/ttf
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/x-icon
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml

# Remove browser bugs (only needed for really old browsers)
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
  BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
  Header append Vary User-Agent
</IfModule>

...but that didn't change anything... That's was for gzip. Maybe I need DEFLATE as well? Man, this stuff used to be so simple...
Just noting that I added the DEFLATE code as well - and that didn't help. Mystery of the unknown for the time being - until somebody else bumps into the same scenario/problem...

Just thought I'd update this discussion to let viewers know that out of nowhere, the open graph images started working again - on all my XenForo installations... Just like that. I didn't change anything. Perhaps it was a Facebook issue - and perhaps it was happening to everyone...

I haven't noticed issues with other sites, including this one.

So either it was something at the server level on your side, or FB had an issue with only your sites.

I'm going to suggest the former as that is the common factor.

I haven't noticed issues with other sites, including this one.

So either it was something at the server level on your side, or FB had an issue with only your sites.

I'm going to suggest the former as that is the common factor.
So strange. But I'm glad it got resolved. I can't imagine what would temporarily do that - but it happened... Anyway, all's well that ends well...

Just thought I'd update this discussion to let viewers know that out of nowhere, the open graph images started working again - on all my XenForo installations... Just like that. I didn't change anything. Perhaps it was a Facebook issue - and perhaps it was happening to everyone...
Mine is still funky.

Thanks.

If you figure it out post it up. Being able to do threads would be awesome, but right now I just need the home page.

My forum is live now and I want to share it with 5000 facebook fans, but I just cant the way it shows now.

Thanks.

If you figure it out post it up. Being able to do threads would be awesome, but right now I just need the home page.

My forum is live now and I want to share it with 5000 facebook fans, but I just cant the way it shows now.
For some reason your server is blocking "facebookexternalhit" user agent requests. So Facebook's crawler is being blocked.

If you change your browser user agent to "facebookexternalhit" you will get a blank page when hitting your forum. Oddly the front page doesn't behave the same way.

It's specifically looking for that user agent string.

facebookexternalhi works
facebookexternalhit doesn't

For some reason your server is blocking "facebookexternalhit" user agent requests. So Facebook's crawler is being blocked.

If you change your browser user agent to "facebookexternalhit" you will get a blank page when hitting your forum. Oddly the front page doesn't behave the same way.

It's specifically looking for that user agent string.

facebookexternalhi works
facebookexternalhit doesn't
Thank you so much. I really really appreciate the effort to investigate and respond.

I don't really understand what you are saying, but I'm betting my server guy will.

My home page, and my entire site, except for my forum, is wordpress. I guess the config is different. Wordpress and more specifically Yoast (a Wordpress pluggin, kind of like an addon) are very focused on open graph. I don't know the coding details, but I think IF Yoast would produce an SEO/OG addon that does what their WordPress SEO/OG pluggin does... there would be big market for it.

What is the installed base of XF?

Top Bottom