Online Rugby League - Grandstand Forums

OnlineRugbyLeague

ORL_Profile.webp
Online Rugby League
The Online Rugby League is a new simulator based rugby league game. The basic overview of it is we have 12 teams, the coaches bid to sign the best players to fill their roster spots and then over the course of the competition the coaches send their line ups/team tactics in - these are entered into a simulator where a set-by-set result is produced determining a winner and a loser.

The bulk of the operation is aimed to be run via the Forum - which we have dubbed The Grandstand Forums here players/teams can trade/bid on players, talk about the sport in real life and provide feedback ideas and suggestions on how to improve heading forward.

The XF Resource Manager will be used to upload all match results and related game files.

We are currently working with the Edge theme from @Russ at PixelExit and in the process of making all those minor changes we as admins know we do with the community, the prefix', Group Banners etc and node icons to help further customise the look and feel.

While there are still some minor tweaks and imperfections I am currently working on ironing out.

Although it is not aimed to be a massive board, primarily for those taking part in the competition and maybe some others who just want a chat about sport in general, but would like to hear some feedback or where I could improve.

Looks nice and simple on my Iphone. Love the simple color scheme- very calm and peaceful feeling. Russ’s Edge theme is great and easily adjustable, and Russ is wonderful to work with from my experience.

Two things noticed:

1. Color of selected tab is off, blue hue does not match overall blue scheme on my Iphone.

2. Logo is unreadable in portrait mode.

See attachments

Otherwise great! Keeping it simple and uncluttered is very appealing to me at least.

Have a wonderful day!

Gabby

Attachments

• IMG_2268.webp
    IMG_2268.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2269.webp
    IMG_2269.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 14
Thank you I didn't notice that. I forget to look on devices as I sit at the computer to do it all. Rookie error. I will go and continue looking at it.

Thank you for taking the time.

Which sim are you guys using? Example match report?
FYI I run nzwarriors forum, @Dannymh runs silvertails, and @thenashy runs broncoshq.

I'm sure there's a few other nrl team forum admins on here. Good luck!
Hey there,
We are using the RLSIM2003 from the great Graeme Kirk. The database in use was one used by another comp until it pulled up stumps earlier this year. We have stripped the db back (obviously becoming bloated with players over 18+ years) and are doing a complete overhaul of the player stats once the Grand Final is completed to ensure more up to date and true reflection of current players ratings.

I have attached a random match just simmed for you Brisbane Broncos vs. New Zealand Warriors to provide you with an output.
EDIT: Attached a match for @Dannymh - Sea Eagles v Titans as well.
  • No six again / two point field-goal as they are recent inclusions.
  • Teams based on 2024 with stats overhaul after Grand Final.

Plan is to K.I.S.S with the first season just 12 teams and then "going from there" by adding NSWRL/QRL players allowing us to expand as required in the future.

Forum wise - Side bar turns into draw/ladder when season is underway. Coaches will have banner + team name - minor premierships/premiership in membersinfo on messages.

Please forgive me if I overlooked one of your questions (or rambled too much so excited to be working on it).

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey there,
We are using the RLSIM2003 from the great Graeme Kirk. The database in use was one used by another comp until it pulled up stumps earlier this year. We have stripped the db back (obviously becoming bloated with players over 18+ years) and are doing a complete overhaul of the player stats once the Grand Final is completed to ensure more up to date and true reflection of current players ratings.

I have attached a random match just simmed for you Brisbane Broncos vs. New Zealand Warriors to provide you with an output.
EDIT: Attached a match for @Dannymh - Sea Eagles v Titans as well.
  • No six again / two point field-goal as they are recent inclusions.
  • Teams based on 2024 with stats overhaul after Grand Final.

Plan is to K.I.S.S with the first season just 12 teams and then "going from there" by adding NSWRL/QRL players allowing us to expand as required in the future.

Forum wise - Side bar turns into draw/ladder when season is underway. Coaches will have banner + team name - minor premierships/premiership in membersinfo on messages.

Please forgive me if I overlooked one of your questions (or rambled too much so excited to be working on it).

Do you think you'd be able to automate this to post the results into a dedicated forum rather than output a file to resource manager?

Where are you pulling your stats from? Would you share, even if privately?

Followup: Would you allow the entire handling of the system to happen locally if we happened to have our own stats?

Is this another collaboration?

I've got another project on but I'll be rewriting big chunks of our current shared add-ons before the new season mostly because we suck at manly at the moment.

I have the thread of a new idea as well for us to add into posts. It seems like there's a bunch of stats nerds and I want to figure out a way to let our users access the data we have through posts anyway I've got ideas but I don't have the time to back them up

I do need to change some things in our current code to make them more efficient too

Is this another collaboration?

I've got another project on but I'll be rewriting big chunks of our current shared add-ons before the new season mostly because we suck at manly at the moment.

I have the thread of a new idea as well for us to add into posts. It seems like there's a bunch of stats nerds and I want to figure out a way to let our users access the data we have through posts anyway I've got ideas but I don't have the time to back them up

I do need to change some things in our current code to make them more efficient too

Geez I stopped annoying you about this ages ago. I could start again? 🤭

Hey guys,
Sorry for lack of info/reply - someone has to work to pay for my little "side project" + school holidays + heat = tired and forgetting to come back to answer questions.

I'll try to be short, sharp and to the point (but apologies if I do ramble - excitement in the project, lol)

The simulator is 20-years old (that's older than xF itself) - by player statistics I meant the player/team database is controlled by an access spreadsheet, we need to put every player we want in our competition in there and rate them out of 10 for attack, defence, kicking, goal kicking and temperament.

What I meant when I spoke earlier about statistical input - was due to the database being so old some ratings don't match players current abilities. So following the grand final through our FB + Forums we were going to get input to identify players that deserved a 10 in attack -> we could then see what the community rated 10 players and then work out other players ratings based on nrl stats and other data available that would represent their 'value' compared to the rated 10 players.

(We'd then do the same with defence - for goal kicking it'd be based on career goals/attempts)

Results - due to it being 20 years old are produced in the .txt document.

So the plan was >> Get the new db and stats together following the GF, hopefully obtain enough interest to fill the 12 coaching spots for the first season (12 teams vs each other once over 11 rounds) in order to gain feedback, maybe some others keeping an eye on and providing input etc and then I was going to commission a complete re-write of the simulator to take into account some of your above suggestions.

> Results directly to a xF Thread.
> Coaches sending in 'team orders' that with a click of the button of the admin update their team line up/tactics on the simulator.
> See if there is a way to use REAL stats from sources to update or recommend player rating changes etc.

It's all just baby steps. At the moment I am trying to work on the design to be inviting yet informative - hopefully start promoting next week in the hope to get input for ratings and then hopefully build grow and update from there.

Happy to answer any questions here or via PM!

BTW I knew gekster (Graeme Kirk) who created the sim. I actually played in the original iirl comp he created the sim for. I contacted him a few years back and he said that the sim was being recreated in Java as a side project. I'll touch base with him regarding it.

BTW I knew gekster (Graeme Kirk) who created the sim. I actually played in the original iirl comp he created the sim for. I contacted him a few years back and he said that the sim was being recreated in Java as a side project. I'll touch base with him regarding it.
Wow you guys are really old I'm still [Insert believable youngish age here], lol!

When I first started this Graeme was the first man I reached out to. He unfortunately spent a couple weeks of his spare time looking through old hard drives for the Sim and he couldn't track it down; he did say that he did have plans to re-work on it however (at that point) he just couldn't (my understanding: the files are so old he cannot open them to edit on his system).

Therefore the four month journey to track down a copy then a somewhat 'updated' database (that wasn't from 2003) has led to getting to this point.

I'd love to see RLSIM updated - somehow take into account the stats etc you guys get your hands on that would overall help make the sim, my comp and any other competition better.

There are just two things I need to take into consideration with it:
1. All of those previous comps etc had a good run, but have ended for one reason or another. Lack of time from the person running it? Lack of interest from new coaches or ideas keeping them from blossoming?

2. Working out what WE need vs. want in the simulator and who to entrust with the role of updating it.

I have absolutely no issue funding part 2, but in order to be able to 'sell' the investment (to my wife) I need to solve part 1.

Which is why I started the Online Rugby League, the Wordpress website front end with the aim to be 'fox-newsy' with news articles, statistics etc for those participating, following or just passing by to be entertained yet up-to-date and knowing what is happening throughout our competition.

The Grandstand Forums (the Forums) obviously established for trading/bidding and operating of the competition - but is also a place where we are hoping not only our coaches but maybe the odd footy fan or two will hang out provide feedback on the competition, what we are doing right/what we aren't and continue to work on improving it.

It is also where I had hoped to introduce this very subject of the RLSIM re-write, getting input from everyone on what would make it easier and better on all levels.

- -
Design wise as previously stated I went with Russ cause I like his work and already had a license. Obviously changed the colour scheme and drew some inspiration from BroncosHQ with the sidebar design (graphics are far from my strong point so went basic). I am trying to keep things simple across the board yet avoid boring!

My to do list forum wise:
  • Additional Ribbon for O.G Members of the forum (first 50).
  • Some sort of way to make the inaugural coaches stand out (thinking coloured username but not sure)
  • Set up decent looking prefixes for the sections that need them.

Maybe find a way to add the NRL Ladder to the sidebar (replacing my entire sidebar) in the Rugby League discussion section.

But would love any suggestions or tips to further improve overall.

Really appreciate all of your feedback on everything, like you just a guy trying to enjoy the game of Rugby League.
I would say good luck to all this weekend but two of our teams are bathing themselves on beaches and the other two are head to head so by the end of the weekend only one of us are going to be happy... :)

Last edited:
Wow you guys are really old I'm still [Insert believable youngish age here], lol!

When I first started this Graeme was the first man I reached out to. He unfortunately spent a couple weeks of his spare time looking through old hard drives for the Sim and he couldn't track it down; he did say that he did have plans to re-work on it however (at that point) he just couldn't (my understanding: the files are so old he cannot open them to edit on his system).

Therefore the four month journey to track down a copy then a somewhat 'updated' database (that wasn't from 2003) has led to getting to this point.

I'd love to see RLSIM updated - somehow take into account the stats etc you guys get your hands on that would overall help make the sim, my comp and any other competition better.

There are just two things I need to take into consideration with it:
1. All of those previous comps etc had a good run, but have ended for one reason or another. Lack of time from the person running it? Lack of interest from new coaches or ideas keeping them from blossoming?

2. Working out what WE need vs. want in the simulator and who to entrust with the role of updating it.

I have absolutely no issue funding part 2, but in order to be able to 'sell' the investment (to my wife) I need to solve part 1.

Which is why I started the Online Rugby League, the Wordpress website front end with the aim to be 'fox-newsy' with news articles, statistics etc for those participating, following or just passing by to be entertained yet up-to-date and knowing what is happening throughout our competition.

The Grandstand Forums (the Forums) obviously established for trading/bidding and operating of the competition - but is also a place where we are hoping not only our coaches but maybe the odd footy fan or two will hang out provide feedback on the competition, what we are doing right/what we aren't and continue to work on improving it.

It is also where I had hoped to introduce this very subject of the RLSIM re-write, getting input from everyone on what would make it easier and better on all levels.

- -
Design wise as previously stated I went with Russ cause I like his work and already had a license. Obviously changed the colour scheme and drew some inspiration from BroncosHQ with the sidebar design (graphics are far from my strong point so went basic). I am trying to keep things simple across the board yet avoid boring!

My to do list forum wise:
  • Additional Ribbon for O.G Members of the forum (first 50).
  • Some sort of way to make the inaugural coaches stand out (thinking coloured username but not sure)
  • Set up decent looking prefixes for the sections that need them.

Maybe find a way to add the NRL Ladder to the sidebar (replacing my entire sidebar) in the Rugby League discussion section.

But would love any suggestions or tips to further improve overall.

Really appreciate all of your feedback on everything, like you just a guy trying to enjoy the game of Rugby League.
I would say good luck to all this weekend but two of our teams are bathing themselves on beaches and the other two are head to head so by the end of the weekend only one of us are going to be happy... :)

I think we all use PixelExit styles now. BHQ is currently on Bolt.

As for why it always disappeared, forums back in those days were a bit different, and the internet was a different world. We couldn't get our fix of fantasy sports in our pocket.

The manualness of the old system was a pain too. It relied on the one person with access to the sim, and that person on most forums would never share anything, or give any access should they not be able to do something. As people get busy, they just sorta, died off, and weren't as fun as they were when they first started.

I think there is still a place for it on our niche sites, but it really would need automation to be a success, or for people to really use it. We run a manual fantasy comp on BHQ each year too, and the work that goes into organising it is huge. While it's manual, it does have a lot of automation, albeit, in Excel. Drives me up the wall.

Do you have a number in mind that you're thinking this will cost? Can go private if you want with that.

Absolutely agree automation is the way to go.
The fact we have access to the technology, push notifications etc it’s easier for people to get that gentle reminder.

Will message when home from watching the other final (we all know the big one is tomorrow) :)
Thank you all, just the discussion has me pumped to continue working and improving on the foundation.

Top Bottom