XF 2.1 One-click upgrades and add-on install/upgrade from ZIP files

And here we are, already at the penultimate entry in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a... well... click, I guess... and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

If someone asks what all those things mean, you can say that they mean whatever you need them to mean. Thank you XenForo! Meanwhile, what could be more beautiful than XenForo? Chocolate? Coffee? Marshmallows? Anyway. I therefore thank you XenForo very warmly for that. And Chris, I therefore thank you for having participated in this work. :cool:

As we speak at this very moment, no, we don't actually log any of the API requests on our server, but obviously that could change in the future if we felt it was necessary.

The warnings and errors you see should be treated and resolved as appropriate but at this moment in time they are purely for your own information.

In terms of collecting other statistics, we already do this and have done since XF 2.0.2. We don't collect stats on any installed add-ons at this time, but we do anonymously log PHP, MySQL and XenForo versions and this is an opt in/out thing which customers would have been prompted for the first time upgrading to version 2.0.2 or above.

Nope. Your server will download the zip file, your server will extract the contents of it, your server will copy the files into the correct place and then your server will perform the upgrade.

It very much depends on your server configuration and file system permissions. But as long as they are in order (we do testing before the upgrade to ensure issues shouldn't be encountered) then it should just work™️

Awesome addition!

In one sense though, it almost makes upgrades too easy. Is there a way for the system double check that we indeed want to do the upgrade in the event we are doing something especially significant like going to a new major version or to an unsupported version?

Unsupported versions are off by default so that has to be opted into.

As per the gif there’s also a confirmation beforehand.

Currently very major upgrades are blocked (e.g. 2.0.x to 3.0.0) but they might not need to be.

The usual warnings for things such as backups, running via the CLI etc. are in place.

Overall, I don’t think there should be any significant accidents.

The other helpful thing (in my case) would be an add-on installation throttle, limiting me no more than, say, 10 new add-ons in any one day. 😅

And please don’t tell me that would be best handled as an add-on. 🙂

You've always been allowed a testing site. (And we've actually just made some license agreement tweaks which make some of the stuff in this feature clearer, but also allow any number of testing installs, provided they are clearly test installs, password protected, etc -- previously, our agreement only allowed one. The customer area has a license agreement update notification.)

Because of testing and development sites, the URL related checks are warnings and don't block the auto upgrade system. (If you get that warning on a production site though, then you may be doing something that falls foul of our agreement, so best to sort it/talk to us.)
Mike (and crew): I usually have my test installs buried in a PW protected folder on the same domain as my prod install but lately I've been thinking about moving all of the various test sites (some XF 1.x, some 2.x, some will be for upcoming 2.1.x) to a dedicated placeholder domain so that they're all sandboxed in one place with the DBs & data far (far, far) away from the prod instances. If I still have them buried in a PW protected folder would I be OK? Thinking out loud, I have few XF licenses not in use... I could associate one of them to the placeholder domain so if something came up you guys could scan the DB to find out who it's associated with. :unsure: Good to go?

You don't need to overthink it too much.

At worst, you will get a warning that the test board URL doesn't match the URL on the license. All of the other functionality, such as one click upgrades, will still work. If we were to proactively monitor such things at some point in the future and we come across things which look like license agreement violations, the first thing we'd try and do is access the URL.

If that is clearly a test installation (such as it has a hostname that suggests it is) and it is password protected, then we wouldn't concern ourselves with that.

You don't need to overthink it too much.

At worst, you will get a warning that the test board URL doesn't match the URL on the license. All of the other functionality, such as one click upgrades, will still work. If we were to proactively monitor such things at some point in the future and we come across things which look like license agreement violations, the first thing we'd try and do is access the URL.

If that is clearly a test installation (such as it has a hostname that suggests it is) and it is password protected, then we wouldn't concern ourselves with that.

I run a test server on my local machine via scotch box. Will the one click upgraded work on this?

Top Bottom