XF 2.1 One-click upgrades and add-on install/upgrade from ZIP files

And here we are, already at the penultimate entry in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a... well... click, I guess... and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Very nice, definitely something that will help with all the upgrades and such. Such a tedious process this will save so much time.

For those curious about TH Install and Upgrade, we had guessed this would be added at some point. We built the product as we needed a solution today, something that worked with Resource Managers, etc. The most difficult part of our add-on was getting the official add-ons from XenForo.com, so this will remove that complication, reduce labor, etc. Now we can focus on simply RMs and ideally we can integrate with third-party developers that want to have their products auto-installed, either free or paid add-ons. If XenForo adds this, we need a system for ThemeHouse products anyway to allow for a clean install to handle our authentication of license ownership and updates. We'd love to have the product work with @Xon , @Snog, @AndyB , @Ehren @Bob, XRM product, @DragonByte Tech etc. as I think they all either use a custom shop or a variation on the RM.

Our add-on is free, Im fine unbranding it as TH or whatever the XF third-party developers want so we can have a single system for installing and maintaining all themes/add-ons either official or unofficial in a clean and organized way. Ultimately I just want to save time upgrading and installing add-ons, so thats the mission of the product. Its already been amazing for me, but itd be golden if we got all the main third-party developers on board.

Can discuss this in a different place, but yeah with XenForo adding this to the core, just add the ability to add paid third-party add-ons and we're not dragging files ever (almost) again!
This would be fantastic ! What a great marketing tool for an add on developer ! "Works with TH add on & upgrade install" for easy install on your forum. Thanks Mike Creuzer !

Joking aside, obviously you can ignore it too, which is also fine. It's for information only. Serves as a handy reminder and would help make it clear to people why update notifications have stopped (we only notify you of updates you have available to you).
Well, I'm going to give equal time now. I slammed IPS for doing something similar when support expired with them. Their notice could not be dismissed. Enough others also yelled about enough that they did make it so that it could be dismissed and then would re-appear again after a set time period.
I would strongly encourage a rethinking of this aspect in making it a permanent notice and not able to be dismissed.

All in all, a positive step. Never going to diss something that make my side project of board administration easier. And the reminder that you are expired is helpful in my eyes. Our maintenance expired once and no one noticed until I went to download an upgrade.

Are you able to exclude files/directories from auto-updating? ... for example, we have a whole set of different smilies and have to delete the smilies from the upgrade ZIP in order to stop them overwriting our custom ones (I'm guessing this would be outside of the remit of this feature as presumably it's aimed at simplifying the process for people with stock installs?).

Well, I'm going to give equal time now. I slammed IPS for doing something similar when support expired with them. Their notice could not be dismissed. Enough others also yelled about enough that they did make it so that it could be dismissed and then would re-appear again after a set time period.
I would strongly encourage a rethinking of this aspect in making it a permanent notice and not able to be dismissed.
I’m not 100% over this but don’t IPS display it on every page? Even on the front end? We only display it on the Admin CP home page and nowhere else. That doesn’t seem too significant to me.

Presumably we'll still be able to download the update ZIPs from the customer area and manually do it as we always have done?

Or are you aiming to make this compulsory in the future to stop people upgrading when the license has not been renewed?

Are you able to exclude files/directories from auto-updating? ... for example, we have a whole set of different smilies and have to delete the smilies from the upgrade ZIP in order to stop them overwriting our custom ones (I'm guessing this would be outside of the remit of this feature as presumably it's aimed at simplifying the process for people with stock installs?).

You'd probably be better off editing the smilie in their smilie manager to point at a different image path completely rather than overwriting default files

Presumably we'll still be able to download the update ZIPs from the customer area and manually do it as we always have done?

Or are you aiming to make this compulsory in the future to stop people upgrading when the license has not been renewed?
You will always be able to upgrade the traditional way, but as above, the smilie issue you're concerned about is resolvable. You don't need to be overwriting our smilies, they can be in their own files and you just update the smilie URLs accordingly. We don't overwrite changes to smilie URLs on upgrade.

I’m not 100% over this but don’t IPS display it on every page? Even on the front end? We only display it on the Admin CP home page and nowhere else. That doesn’t seem too significant to me.
They show it to the Admin in the ACP and on the site pages (to the Admin), but it is can be dismissed by clicking an X, along with an alert about dangerous PHP functions
Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 8.13.57 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 8.15.17 PM.webp

It's not a new feature. It's just something additional that is happening besides the standard HYS thread.

Top Bottom