XF 2.1 One-click upgrades and add-on install/upgrade from ZIP files

And here we are, already at the penultimate entry in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a... well... click, I guess... and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

One-click official XenForo add-on upgrades

Of course the new one-click goodness wouldn't quite be complete without also supporting similar functionality for XenForo Enhanced Search, Resource Manager and Media Gallery.

View attachment 187068
It takes a touch longer than that to run, but we've all seen the import add-on data process once or twice 😉
Of course many of you will have multiple XF add-ons, some of you even have all of them! You may have guessed from the initial confirmation page above that we actually support installing multiple XF add-ons at the same time!

yet people force users of add-ons to use a beta making them only compatible with a beta release :X3: non-stable environment 💩
Your choice, but so far 5 is rock solid. Perhaps that will not be the case with the next build. If testing live, keep backups, and do not diminish your situation. We made the sacrifice of cutting off certain important add-ons because the core forum software functionality, I believe, is more important for our members. We will work with add-on authors to get things flying again. Its only a matter of time until these addons need to be updated anyway. On release day (or when the software goes gold), you're still going to have the same compatibility issues if addon authors don't change their code/scripting.

Your choice, but so far 5 is rock solid. Perhaps that will not be the case with the next build. If testing live, keep backups, and do not diminish your situation. We made the sacrifice of cutting off certain important add-ons because the core forum software functionality, I believe, is more important for our members. We will work with add-on authors to get things flying again. Its only a matter of time until these addons need to be updated anyway. On release day (or when the software goes gold), you're still going to have the same compatibility issues if addon authors don't change their code/scripting.

i wasn't on about the 2.1 beta, was on about addon creators making their addons only 2.1 compatible without saying and you don't find out until you go to click upgrade after replacing the addons files on your server to be greeted with "addon only for 2.1", which then leaves the addon(s) broken on 2.0.

Note: this is not all addon creators, some do alert users prior.

this is not all addon creators, some do alert users prior.
The first line of my patch notes specifically say XF2.1 required... and the download links contain both the most recent 2.0 and 2.1 versions; so that if you accidentally upload the 2.1 version to your server, you can always reupload the 2.0 version. I really don't understand why you're constantly *****ing to me about this.

Hi folks, could someone point me to the proper CHMOD permissions for the upgrading functionality?

I have this:

The following issue was found when determining if a one-click upgrade is possible: Cannot install from archive as not all required directories are writable. Various directories must be writable by the web server user to install from an archive. In addition to the XF root directory, some or all of the following paths must be writable: js, src/addons, styles, src/XF/Repository/AddOn.php.

The first line of my patch notes specifically say XF2.1 required... and the download links contain both the most recent 2.0 and 2.1 versions; so that if you accidentally upload the 2.1 version to your server, you can always reupload the 2.0 version. I really don't understand why you're constantly *ing to me about this.

Wasn't on about you, but as long as you mentioned...you send a e-mail, with a link to dropbox to a zip file, you mention nothing about the plugin in this e-mail or zip file that this version is locked to a beta non released version. Anybody getting this file then and uploading it would fall into the same situation.

not everybody is gonna go looking for patch notes.

I just installed a third party add-on using the new system. Note that XF will alert you to add an entry to your config.php to enable this feature (for third-party add-ons and themes). It also had an alert re: file permissions on the server, but I ran it through and saw no error messages. I have yet to configure the add-on, but it sure was a lot easier than having to upload the zip file, rename it (since I'm not typing a trainwreck of characters on a command line), unzip, then copy the /upload files where they belong. This new feature is much appreciated! 👍👍

It just occurred to me--will a similar installation and upgrade function for themes be a future feature? Or are there just too many variables with themes to make it practical? It's not a deal breaker since themes aren't really touched all that often. Keeping add-ons current is more critical to us.

Should you wish to disable one-click upgrades, you simply add the following to your src/config.php file:
PHP:
$config['enableOneClickUpgrade'] = false;

How should it behave for this? Because I have it disable on the config file and am still able to see the upgrade page and able to check for upgrades.

Should it block the upgrade only when pressing the button to upgrade? Or shouldn't even let me see the upgrade page?

Top Bottom