Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
why? good browsers keep functionality....

i would suggest to use htm5, because it is going to be a standard and you don´t requiere to have a powerful pc, only an updated browser that supports it

Not always, they tend to break the editors a lot. That's the main reason IPS chose to use a 3rd party one in IP.Board instead of maintaining their own.

That would require them to make an update everytime a new browser came out which can get tiring.
Ummm no. This is web development. Updates happen for browsers...

As one of the most essential and important parts of forum software, the editor should not come from third party and work perfectly without and issues or complaints. I don't like the current editor at all. In fact, I dislike it to a degree that I prefer the vB 3.x one over this one. I did not feel this was priority the first year, but it should become priority at some point this year I think.
I completely agree. If they focused on a different one or making their own earlier we would still be at 1.0 without a resource manager. After 1.2 would be a good time to look at either a new solution, their own solution or fixing this one their self.

I don't think there is a problem using a third party app editor. After all, it uses swfupload, jquery, zend framework and other third party resources.
I think there are better editors than tiny but to be fair Ive had no issues personally (yet).

I have said it many times now. I think all editors are back in the early web days still. No innovation has happened to them when it should have. Someone needs to step up to the plate and use modern technologies to make a modern editor which does everything it should. If I had the JavaScript skills I would take it on myself, there is a market for it. Whoever makes a new, modern, easy to integrate, innovative new editor has the potential to make a lot of money. I think you will find there is a lack of experienced JavaScript developers though due to the different nature of the language and the history of DOM. In a few years if nothing has changed and I have been successful with growing Mercenary Design I will look at hiring a pro JS developer and take on making a new editor myself.

xenforo should make their own editor instead of depending if the others editors fix (or don´t) their bugs
I don't think you know how much development time it takes to produce a cross-platform WYSIWYG editor.
why? good browsers keep functionality....
Ok I don't think, I know.
i would suggest to use htm5, because it is going to be a standard and you don´t requiere to have a powerful pc, only an updated browser that supports it
So XenForo will only work on IE9, Firefox 10, the latest Chrome, latest Safari, and nothing else.

So XenForo will only work on IE9, Firefox 10, the latest Chrome, latest Safari, and nothing else.
In that case I suggest you to keep using the current buggy editor...

Keep in mind that a software can´t have support of too old software, but we are talking about upgrade a browser that uses (in general) the same resources requirements that the old one

It doesn't have to use HTML5... that is more presentation anyway. For crap that doesn't matter half the time.

Ummm no. This is web development. Updates happen for browsers...
What? If a new browser update came out and it broke the editor, they would have to send out an XF update/upgrade so that the editor would work for everybody, which can become a waste of time.

Sure tinymce isn't a great editor, I prefer the one that IPB uses (only if you can get everything working nicely).

What? If a new browser update came out and it broke the editor, they would have to send out an XF update/upgrade so that the editor would work for everybody, which can become a waste of time.

Sure tinymce isn't a great editor, I prefer the one that IPB uses (only if you can get everything working nicely).
Updates don't happen like that... we aren't in the IE days... There should NEVER be a browser update that will break anything with XenForo. And if there was, it would be VERY minor and they could patch it very fast.

Updates don't happen like that... we aren't in the IE days... There should NEVER be a browser update that will break anything with XenForo. And if there was, it would be VERY minor and they could patch it very fast.

I'm talking about if they created their own editor. Last year before IP.Board 3.2 was released they were having to update the editor due to chrome, safari, firefox, etc coming out with updates to webkit or moz etc that would mess up features of the editor, the same thing can happen now, it doesn't matter what browser era you are in, browsers can come out with updates that can break an editor.

It's not. It's just calling things as I see them. You said your remedy would "address some of the core barriers that are stopping some forums from migrating," as though it were a matter of record. Is it? Name some of those forums that aren't migrating as a result of your issues. If you can't, your premise is busted and your points are invalid.
Well, its a huge issue for our Forums. We are migrating to Xenforo and using a Wordpress bridge and we hope it works out. :)

Define extreme lengths? Cant you just click the the 'more options' button from the edit window? Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning.
Copy some code that contains tabs (not spaces) and paste it into editor. This is what you should see as end result:
Code:
	public static function init(XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract $dependencies, array $data)
	{
		XenForo_Template_Helper_Core::$helperCallbacks['usertitle'] = array(
			'Axivo_Template_Helper_Client',
			'helperUserTitle'
		);
	}
This is what Xenforo displays instead:
Code:
 public static function init(XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract $dependencies, array $data)
{
XenForo_Template_Helper_Core::$helperCallbacks['usertitle'] = array(
'Axivo_Template_Helper_Client',
'helperUserTitle'
);
}

I hope you see where is the issue. :)
Basically, you have to go in Basic Editor mode (Rich Editor will not work period), then paste your code. However, once you edit your post, all previous formatting is gone so you have to copy the entire block of code, than re-paste it again. Try to do this in a post that has about 10 CODE sections, it is simply killer.

The way I do it now is: I open a text editor where I copy the CODE blocks. Then I have to go through the entire post and re-paste each CODE block, in order to reflect the changes. I'm surprised nobody complained about this very important part, especially here on the these forums directly related to code development.

bit late in the game to be ripping the editor out of xenforo aint it? and trying something new. Might as well revert back to beta releases again if that is the case, because by no means would it be a smooth transition.

I wish people would realize what they're really asking for here. Most of us have seen vB4's CMS system, and the mess that it is. We also likewise admire Wordpress or other similar systems, and wish that in xF's case we'd get something like that.

So, do you guys realize what we're asking for? A Wordpress-quality CMS system? REALLY?

We're asking Kier and Mike to basically write a xF-quality project from scratch for CMS, reinventing another Wordpress (nothing less will do, see vB4's CMS), when other programmers from other companies have already done that, and their work is, at the present time, already on the level of xF quality in their own CMS domain?

Are we being rational, and realistic, here, or just wishful thinking?

While wordpress is good i am not asking for that think at least EZ Publish quality (look at video's at there site) and function. Wordpress is good for some stuff but what i have in mind it will never work with wordpress or with vBulletin CMS for that matter.

CMS? That's a whole Universe of it's own. Install Joomla or even better, Wordpress, and bridge XF towards the latter.

And galleries are already in existence as add-ons.

Bridges are good in some cases but i want the look, feel and quality of one program not something that is stitched with thread to one and other and if you update because of security is broken in seconds and takes weeks to fix because the auteur is no where to be found.

Ahh Floren, now I see your issue. I guess that will affect mainly web design / development / programming sites and of course this one :)

My users don't even know what the code button is for let alone worry about indentation :)

I feel for ya though.

bit late in the game to be ripping the editor out of xenforo aint it? and trying something new. Might as well revert back to beta releases again if that is the case, because by no means would it be a smooth transition.
Never too late. Definitely room for improvement.

I hate editors that operate like a whitespace vacuum cleaner.

Wordpress sometimes gives me fits with regards to this. YES you stupid sodding editor, I DID want two lines of space! I know there's a code edit I can make to turn off the whitespace removal, but I have other content editors on my site who probably need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom