Not like this:........

Accreal

Sorry my english
1. Making Post bit. In my opinion it is more convenient when we'll see more information, number of messages, the date of registration (as in vbulletin and some other).
And then and only need to click the pop-up menu to view. - Not convenient. Much more convenient it was vb. Just did not like the very design of the pop-up window. Maybe you can even choose to make a panel with a choice of the form (old or new) version of the post bit
Did not like the title theme instead of the message icons mini avatars. Not familiar, does not like. It would be more familiar icons.
3. I did not like the forum statistics from the side, it is more convenient when the bottom. (Forum on the entire screen.).
4. If not set an avatar in a Post Bit still takes place, I would like to make it empty if not worth avatar.

1.Designing Post Bit. I guess its way more useful when it has more information (posts) in it, registration date how it was on vb ipb and others. Here first u should click, wait for popup to show up and here we go - this way realy sucks. On vb it was way better. Popup window design also didnt impress me much, it would look much better if done in same colors as the general (deffault) forum style.

2. Also i didnt like icons (moved, new posts, no new posts, etc) in topics. Icons from vb and ipb looked way better.

3. Statistics moved somewhere to the side for some reason also doesnt make much sense, it was easier to check it out down there. FOrum occupying the whole browser window is more handy to read dont u think.

4. When a user doesnt have an avatar the blank icon there instead of it is a waste of space. It would be better if it just was nothing there at all.

5. No thread sticker notification at all.

In any way this mini profile when u click an avatar looks too imposing. It has some point but still too annoying. Anywhere u click it still there. Its better to have a button for it, cause for example when ure trying to send a pm to a person, u have to see this mini profile first and then send a pm idk for me its too complicated.

In general this stuff looks great, just some tips for u what seemed to me could be fixed up. Some things could also be done as an extra option. Thru APC admin panel.

Thats what i think.

1. I disagree completely. Things like post count, registration date... 99% of the time people don't look at it. I believe the focus of the postbit should be on the post content as much as possible. And the rest of the postbit should be very economical. Only display the information you have to display.
Having the rest in this pretty little pop-up is perfect!
2. Not sure what you mean, to be honest. Where are you from? Maybe someone here speaks your language and will help translate?
3. Again, I disagree. Spreading it out all over the forum width is just not economical and old-fashioned. With screen sizes being as big as they are today, the forum-home (or forum list, board home or whatever you call it) has a lot of dead space. Putting a sidebar in with information like statistics makes perfect sense. This helps makes the main part of the forum home the forum list. Seperating content this way is a lot better and a lot more semantic (if that is the right word here).
4. I know what you mean. I think this should be a setting. I prefer a default avatar as it is now, but I understand why some may not like that. Making the standard avatar gender specific is, of course, really cool.

One of the many little things why I love Kier's work.

Post count shouldn't matter and i don't really miss them. It's the trophies that reflects the user's post count. I like the postbit plain and simple like it is. The "Member Card" shows how many posts the user has and that's exactly what the member card is for.

Respectfully
Br

I'm not really interested in when someone has registered if I'm an admin I could pop into the control panel to determine that.

I'm not really missing the post counts in the postbit, even though I do see myself checking how many posts I've made :)

As for wanting something familiar, it's best to get out of your comfort zone once in a while.

1. I disagree completely. Things like post count, registration date... 99% of the time people don't look at it. I believe the focus of the postbit should be on the post content as much as possible. And the rest of the postbit should be very economical. Only display the information you have to display.
2. Not sure what you mean, to be honest. Where are you from? Maybe someone here speaks your language and will help translate?
3. Again, I disagree. Spreading it out all over the forum width is just not economical and old-fashioned. With screen sizes being as big as they are today, the forum-home (or forum list, board home or whatever you call it) has a lot of dead space. Putting a sidebar in with information like statistics makes perfect sense. This helps makes the main part of the forum home the forum list. Seperating content this way is a lot better and a lot more semantic (if that is the right word here).
4. I know what you mean. I think this should be a setting. I prefer a default avatar as it is now, but I understand why some may not like that. Making the standard avatar gender specific is, of course, really cool.

signed.

I think #2 is he's saying he doesn't like avatars next to post titles but would like post icons... I know post icons are 'dead' but maybe the small avatar could be replaced by a 'post icon' if one was chosen, but stay an avatar if none is chosen (or the system is disabled).

I have to agree with the original poster. To us detailed information beside a members post is vital. Ours is a small very personal community and a key part is giving advice and support. We like to know who we are talking to when responding, without having to go into admin (not an option for ordinary members) to find out how long they've been a member, how many posts they have made, where their location is each time we want to answer a question. A members location be it UK or USA for instance is vital when advising about local services available.

For us this detailed information at least would need to be an option we could implement.

I have to agree with the original poster. To us detailed information beside a members post is vital. Ours is a small very personal community and a key part is giving advice and support. We like to know who we are talking to when responding, without having to go into admin to find out how long they've been a member, how many posts they have made, where their location is each time we want to answer a question. A members location be it UK or USA for instance is vital when advising about local services available.

For us this detailed information at least would need to be an option we could implement.

You do know all of that information is readily available if you click a username/avatar, right? Removes initial clutter from a thread, but if you want to know more just click to view the Membership Card and you don't even need to leave the page. :)

You do know all of that information is readily available if you click a username/avatar, right? Removes initial clutter from a thread, but if you want to know more just click to view the Membership Card and you don't even need to leave the page. :)
Just another confirmation of Kier's uncanny insight as to how things should be. I love it.

I prefer to have it this way. It's more intimate and you're not overwhelming users with information.

Default is of course to show all information... I'm an engineer and I like to see everything at once... My windows desktop usually fills with shortcuts and icons because if they are all on the desktop it's one less click to get to them... but I know most people aren't like me... I made a sticky thread in my main forum for a week with exact instructions on how to disable things and most people (like I figured) didn't care one way or the other.

I think it should be noted that there is clearly a difference in opinion here.

If WE as forum admins don't share the same point of view, why do we think that our forum members do? :)

Like many other things I think it needs to be something that can be controlled by individual admins based on their specific community and *IT'S* needs.

We too are largely a question/advice forum and people DO look at the details about members in the postbit, it helps them get a feel for who's advice is likely to be more applicable to their own situation. It also helps when they are looking for a contractor in their area.
Please don't make the assumption that many folks do, that if it's not something that YOU have a use for that it must therefor be useless.

Not everyone that disagrees with you is deluded, shortsighted or hopelessly old fashioned. Sometimes they simply have different requirements and work with a different type of community than you do :).

Fortunately, I imagine that this is probably something that can be readily customized in the templates...

Totally signed. I truly believe in having as much focus on the posting as possible in threaddisplay. This was actually the vision of Kier when he created the new vB4 layout (mind you, Internet Brands now uses a completely different layout, for -to me at least- unknown reasons), look here at this comprehensive and very interesting to read article: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entry.php?2360-First-Look-The-vBulletin-4.0-Style

1.Designing Post Bit. I guess its way more useful when it has more information (posts) in it, registration date how it was on vb ipb and others. Here first u should click, wait for popup to show up and here we go - this way realy sucks. On vb it was way better. Popup window design also didnt impress me much, it would look much better if done in same colors as the general (deffault) forum style.

2. Also i didnt like icons (moved, new posts, no new posts, etc) in topics. Icons from vb and ipb looked way better.

3. Statistics moved somewhere to the side for some reason also doesnt make much sense, it was easier to check it out down there. FOrum occupying the whole browser window is more handy to read dont u think.

4. When a user doesnt have an avatar the blank icon there instead of it is a waste of space. It would be better if it just was nothing there at all.

5. No thread sticker notification at all.

In any way this mini profile when u click an avatar looks too imposing. It has some point but still too annoying. Anywhere u click it still there. Its better to have a button for it, cause for example when ure trying to send a pm to a person, u have to see this mini profile first and then send a pm idk for me its too complicated.

In general this stuff looks great, just some tips for u what seemed to me could be fixed up. Some things could also be done as an extra option. Thru APC admin panel.

Thats what i think.

Top Bottom