Not impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is DOB demanded to register? You could use that data for anything malicious (I made one up).

Why after going to the trouble to register am I prevented from commenting because I have insufficient privileges? Have you got something to hide.

I've been trying to weigh up XenForo and VBulletin but is now a no brainier. I won't be buying XenForo because it makes me suspicious.

It'll either be VB or something else.

Why is DOB demanded to register?
So that I can greet you with "Happy Birthday bro! I need a party" messages. You can disable it from ACP though if you want for your forum.

You could use that data for anything malicious
Such as?

Why after going to the trouble to register am I prevented from commenting because I have insufficient privileges?
Due to lot of spammers I believe. You know people join the site to bash the staff or the software or something else?

Cough cough.

Screenshot_2015-04-01-19-03-21.webp

It's an option in the admin back end. I believe it's required here because of some UK laws.

A date of birth being required is due to the fact that this is a business forum and we request that users who register are a minimum of 13 years old. Also, it allows us to wish you a happy birthday :) Additionally, this is the default Registration Option for XenForo, though it can be controlled:
upload_2015-4-2_0-1-46.webp

If you wish to falsify your DOB, that's your prerogative, though realistically I cannot think of a single malicious thing that we could do with 70,000+ DOBs we have on file ;)

Most of the forums here are restricted to XenForo customers. If you have any questions before purchasing, post them here: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-pre-sales-questions.5/

Also, try the Admin Demo

Until today I'd never even heard of XenForo, but I need new forum software and I'm searching pretty hard. It was recommended on a website so I took a look at your website but nothing like all of my questions were answered by your marketing departments spiel so I found community forums. Great I thought lets get involved. But, I do really object to giving my DOB to a website I've just found that will also have my name and email address so I made up a DOB and a name.

Then I find I can't get involved anyway in the one forum I find that relates to my situation because you block me. So what was the point of registering.

I now have two very positive reasons for not progressing, the first is admittedly a a minor gripe with the DOB but the second is major.

Anyway, that's my two bob. I'm out of here but at least you know (if you care to), why this shopper was put off investigating buying this software for my website. I'm off to evaluate VBulletin and whatever else I can find.

Better watch out, to buy vbulletin it requires First and Last Name, address city state zip telephone and some sort of payment method such as your credit card. :eek:
and their servers were compromised as well....

Requiring date of birth as default in the software covers their butts from any issues stirred up by Coppa.. Even Facebook requires it.. OMG that's over 18 million DOBs on file at one company!

Why is DOB demanded to register? You could use that data for anything malicious (I made one up).
I don't hope you ever register on any site. Most sites require personal information about you... but please, tell us how you're not using Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Hotmail, Gmail or basically any other service on the internet.

And nice of you to abandon the thread because you saw these comments coming.

@gsfdagsfdaasfdhhdsjg vBulletin blocks unlicensed members from posting in their customer support forums - same as XenForo. In either case, unlicensed members can ask questions in the appropriate pre-sale questions forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom