Not able to send or receive external emails from admin account

Minamoto

I'm currently not able to send or receive email from the admin account (i.e. administrator@localhost.com, using a Cpanel webmail client). For every external email, I get the standard mailer-daemon response. However, I can send and receive email locally, i.e. from other members or staff or even from Cpanel. How do I set up my admin account so that I'll be able to receive and send external emails?

I tried to set up an MX record on my Cloudflare dashboard, but I don't know the mail server name (the client is webmail). Where on earth do I find this? Apparently with no MX record found for the root domain, I can't send or receive emails from the admin account.

I spoke too soon. It definitely works, but I'm now getting this message:

"An A, AAAA, CNAME, or MX record is pointed to your origin server exposing your origin IP address."

What does this mean and how do I fix it? I suppose Cloudflare doesn't proxy email traffic. If I have to get a third-party email client for the Cpanel, how would I go about setting it up?

Last edited:
Make sure you check the raw mail headers on email sent from the server, look for the 'Received' header to make sure your server IP isn't exposed. If you're using a third party service or SMTP relay, most of them will keep your server IP in the headers to help track abuse.

This can be combated by setting up your own SMTP relay on another server, or some services (like Amazon's SES iirc) won't add the Received header containing your server IP if you strip it (easy to do if you're using Postfix).

Top Bottom