Does Having a Gmail_Business-based forum@<company_name> email account Break Sending Emails from the ACP?

Steve Freides

I have been frustrated by the apparent lack of records of emails I've sent out through the ACP. To that end, someone at my company HQ who manages their gmail-based email accounts created forum@<company_name> account but as a real account, not just a forwarder.

It works for many things, e.g., I see things coming in via the Contact Us button. But I just created a test group of 2 users and sent out an email from the ACP - it appears not to have gone out since I was one of the recipients and I never got it..

Help, please!

-S-

If by GMail Business you mean Google Apps, then please do be aware that the ToS may prevent you from sending mailing list email. It's possible Google blocks outgoing email that has the "this is a mailing list" flag, or based on keywords in the headers / body, I cannot say for sure.

For our site, we've had to resort to creating a local server-based email account and override our forum's SMTP whenever we send email via our DragonByte Mail mod.

That being said, do please take this with a grain of salt, as this was stuff I learned of several years ago and the information may be wrong or outdated - perhaps it can be a starting point, though :)

EDIT: Found the limits I was thinking of: https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en

Fillip

Last edited:
This brings up a related question - am I the only person who is driven crazy by XF not keeping some sort of record about what email is sent out via the ACP? And is this something that's changed in 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

This brings up a related question - am I the only person who is driven crazy by XF not keeping some sort of record about what email is sent out via the ACP? And is this something that's changed in 2.0?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

No log in XF 2 either. I'm sure there is an add-on that will be developed, or already has been. For mass sending, I'd recommend using Amazon AWS SES or something like Sparkpost to send emails.

Could someone explain why this works the way it does, or rather why it XF does _not_ supply what seems to be appropriate and wanted functionality? The idea of producing a list in the ACP and then pasting it somewhere seems rather like what I was doing with PC's 20 years ago.

I would certainly entertain recommendations for existing add-ons for either the current or 2.0 version of XF if anyone has something they like and have used. I have _never_ used a "mass sending" program and don't really do what I'd call "mass" sending out of emails. It's a few times a year, and it's maybe 30-100 each time, based on a group membership in our forum.

Thanks very much for further advice and recommendations.

-S-

I use Amazon AWS for bulk email sending via the forum.
But then Gmail Web Apps for Business for actual company name / forum name emails.

It works brilliantly and doesn't load the server etc

Top Bottom