Nodes As Tabs

Nodes As Tabs 1.5.1

No permission to download
It works fine on my iPhone in Safari.

Note that the popup menu is triggered by hovering over the right side of the tab. On mobile devices you need to "tap" the right side of the tab as there is no hover action on mobile. Tapping the right side can be difficult on mobile. Or if you just click the tab itself to open that main link then the secondary links will appear in a row under tab (the same links that would be inside of the popup menu).

This is how the menu system in XenForo works and this addon uses that system.
But the links don't work inside of the menu. Only those who are added with the addon. Probaly my fault but i can't figure out what is wrong. The links inside the node from xenforo work. It's the first link in the line. Maybe that has something to do with it?

But the links don't work inside of the menu. Only those who are added with the addon. Probaly my fault but i can't figure out what is wrong. The links inside the node from xenforo work. It's the first link in the line. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Can you provide the URL of your forum so I can test it? And what mobile device are you using?

Hello @Jake Bunce. I'm using your add-on on gramoforum.com.

I'm trying to add category ID 16 (which is "ALIŞ VERİŞ BÖLÜMÜ) to navigation as a root menu. It's okay, I achieved it.

But when I try to add that category's sub-forum with the "İlanlar" title (which is ID 21 that named as "GRAMOFON, PİKAP,PLAK VE TAŞ PLAKLARIN ALIM SATIMI") as sub-menu to root menu, I can't achieve that. Root menu shows whole list of nodes.

I just want to be main menu is root and as a sub-menu, it's sub-forum.

gramoforum.webp

Can you help me?

+

I activated Unread Count query but it shows all unread messages count not unread messages count in that node. How to make it to show only unread messages of that forum?

Last edited:
@4nirvana

It's not entirely clear. If you setup a root node then that node will show all other nodes as its children. If that is not what you want then you shouldn't use the root node option.

If you still need help with this then I need to better understand what you are trying to do.

Can this be used to create navigation of resources?

The resource manager already has a tab and is not a node so this addon normally would not apply. But you can use link-forums with this addon to pull in any XF URL (such as linking to a specific resource). Link-forums can work well in many situations, but not all. I would need to know what exactly you want to do with your resources.

but what I'd really like is a drop-down list of direct links to these pages (not their resource page)

That is very doable. I suggest creating a category node as a tab with a depth of child links = 1, and then create link-forums within that category to link to each individual page.

Or you could even create page nodes and paste the actual HTML into those nodes so those charts are hosted within XF page nodes.

Could we get HTML support for tab titles so we can assign them unique colors?

It's probably better to do that with CSS. Each tab has a unique class that you can select on.

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> EXTRA.css

Code:
.navTab.nodetab1
{
	background-color: red;
}
.navTab.nodetab1 .navLink
{
	color: green;
}

Just replace "1" with the node_id of the tab.

It's probably better to do that with CSS. Each tab has a unique class that you can select on.

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> EXTRA.css

Code:
.navTab.nodetab1
{
    background-color: red;
}
.navTab.nodetab1 .navLink
{
    color: green;
}

Just replace "1" with the node_id of the tab.
Of course! CSS makes much more sense to use. Thank you!

Is the redirect this addon uses seo-friendly? I don't understand why it has to use a redirect anyhow, should be the correct url.

Looks like this on my forum:
example.com/link-forums/l%C3%A5n-ca-35-st.15/

Should look like:
example.com/threads/l%C3%A5n-ca-35-st.30/

MAKING A NEW TAB + 2nd LINKS (Admin tab)

This is a careful step by step walk through on making a new tab plus secondary links, using Jake's fantastic addon.
It's actually for making an Admin tab with favourite admincp places, but the procedure applies to whatever links you want to create.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tutorial-admin-navbar-tab-dropdown-favorites.25712/

I've seen XF forum sites where the tab can be clicked to reveal child forums as a drop down menu. is that what the directions above are for?

THanks,
Bart

I've seen XF forum sites where the tab can be clicked to reveal child forums as a drop down menu. is that what the directions above are for?

THanks,
Bart

To do that you just need to edit the parent node to Display as Tab, and set the Depth of Child Links to 1 or more, and Enable Popup Menu.

Hello,

Using NAT how would I make a What's New? tab display as 'selected' when on one's /find-new/threads page?

I've tried assigning it using the Node Tab Id in the HTML unsuccessfully, and the closest I've came is if I make it a 'link forum' with the link URL set to 'find-new' which works to show the tab as selected but it goes to an error page of course since I'm not setting the link URL to 'find-new/threads' (which displays the correct page, without the tab appearing as selected though).

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance!

Hello,

Using NAT how would I make a What's New? tab display as 'selected' when on one's /find-new/threads page?

I've tried assigning it using the Node Tab Id in the HTML unsuccessfully, and the closest I've came is if I make it a 'link forum' with the link URL set to 'find-new' which works to show the tab as selected but it goes to an error page of course since I'm not setting the link URL to 'find-new/threads' (which displays the correct page, without the tab appearing as selected though).

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance!

You are on the right track. You need to use a link-forum.

Create the link-forum as a child of the node tab and give it a url of "find-new". This extra link-forum is only for the purpose of prefix-matching the url for the purpose of tab selection. Since you don't want this extra link-forum showing in the node list or as a secondary link under the tab, be sure to disable Display in the node list for the extra link-forum, and also set the Depth Of Child Links to 0 in the parent node tab. That should give you a hidden link-forum which functions only to match those "find-new" urls and bind them to the parent node tab.

Hi again Jake, Thanks for the assistance! :)

Taking your advice into account each time, I reattempted it numerous ways but always end up with the same result: either a 'selected' tab with an error link or a working link with an 'unselected' tab. There must be something I'm missing to this, here is what I'm doing:

First (Parent) Link-forum Node:
  • Create New Node - Link Forum entitled What's New? with a Link URL of 'find-new/threads' and Parent Node set to (root node) with Display Order set to 1 with Display in the node list unchecked (so it doesn't appear on the forums).
  • Then I select Display As Tab under Create New Tab, set the Depth Of Child Links to 0, uncheck Enable Popup Menu (as I don't need that), save it and then under Additional Options check Enable Tab Selection For Link-forums, Define Root Node as What's New? from the dropdown menu and check Enable Tab Selection for Root Node.
This produces a working link to the /find-new/threads page so now I try adding the 'selected' tab using a child node as follows:

Child Link-forum Node:
  • Back in the Node Tree select What's New? and click the Add Child button, select Link Forum, and title it Link Forum.
  • For the Link URL I put 'find-new' and ensure the Parent Node is set to What's New? from the dropdown menu, uncheck Display in the node list and save it.
From here I go under Additional Options and ensure Enable Tab Selection For Link-forums is checked, then I can leave Define Root Node set to What's New? from the dropdown, change it, check or uncheck Enable Tab Selection For Root Node, and even go back under the child Link-forum I created and check Display As Tab (*) with Depth Of Child Links set to 0, or Assign To Existing Tab using the nodetab## from the class="navTab nodetab## PopupClosed" in the HTML source.

Doing the former (* above) creates a visible Link Forum tab that is 'selected' but the link then goes to: The requested page could not be found since it's linking to find-new vs find-new/threads (I've even swapped those between the Parent and Child but no dice).

Sorry for the long-winded reply... I've successfully added other tabs in NAT and I understand in theory that I'm supposed to be using the Child Link Forum just for tab selection via 'find-new' in it's URL, but can't make it function in actual practice. :confused:

Is there any critical step to this process I neglected to mention that would explain why any combination I try yields the same results?

Top Bottom