XF 1.3 Node permissions for unconfirmed email users

cmpe

Hi all,

Is there a way to limit node permissions for users that have not yet confirmed their email address?

Right now, my forum is open/read to unregistered users except for three nodes that unregistered users are not allowed to see the thread contents without registering an account.

However, I am noticing a trend where users register but don't confirm their email address at all so their primary user group is "Registered" but their user state is "Awaiting email confirmation". But because they are in the registered group, I believe they can see the thread contents that I would prefer to limit to "registered and confirmed" users.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Consider removing the permissions for the Registered user group and then creating a user group promotion to promote those with valid status to a new user group with all of the permissions.

upload_2014-7-2_19-11-51.webp

Allright, thanks guys. I just wanted to first get a sanity check to make sure what I was seeing on my site was "out of the box".

I'll give the usergroup promotions a go.

Sanity check 2.0: I would have to all current registered/valid users to the new registered group correct? Then the existing "Registered" group will basically be all users without email confirmation correct?
  • Create new user group called "Valid Registered"
  • Batch update all users in "Registered" usergroup and "Valid" user state and add them to new "Valid Registered" usergroup

Oh nevermind, I wouldn't even have to batch update the users after creating the user promotion:
Once the promotion has been saved, any members active recently, who match all of the criteria, will be promoted. If a member no longer qualifies for the promotion, due to their status or the promotion criteria changing, then they will be demoted and removed from the user groups(s).
http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

However, I am noticing a trend where users register but don't confirm their email address at all so their primary user group is "Registered" but their user state is "Awaiting email confirmation". But because they are in the registered group, I believe they can see the thread contents that I would prefer to limit to "registered and confirmed" users.
Just to clarify, unconfirmed users (user state is anything but valid) always get the permissions of the unregistered/unconfirmed group. They are effectively treated as guests already (with some minor differences where guests are explicitly prevented from doing things, regardless of permission settings).

Just to clarify, unconfirmed users (user state is anything but valid) always get the permissions of the unregistered/unconfirmed group. They are effectively treated as guests already (with some minor differences where guests are explicitly prevented from doing things, regardless of permission settings).
If I use the "Test Permission" admin feature of a user that is in the "Awaiting email confirmation", should I be able to see the contents of the thread that I do not have set for unregistered users?

If you use test permissions, you're testing the permissions assigned to that user against your user -- it doesn't apply things like ban/staff/moderator/user states to you; you keep your own states.

So if registered users could see that content, you would see it. You can check this by simply setting your own user state and you shouldn't be able to see the content.

Top Bottom