[Nobita] Sendy.co Integration (Subscribe/Unsubscribe)

[Nobita] Sendy.co Integration (Subscribe/Unsubscribe) [Paid] 1.1.8a

No permission to buy ($20.00)
The checkbox "Agree with GDPR policy" on sign up is not needed. I don't have a "GDPR policy" Most people call it a "Privacy Policy" and that is accepted by users at registration already. How can I remove "Agree with GDPR policy" on sign up. It should not be there and is quite confusing to new sign ups. Thanks

This is an option in acp since 203

HI,

I noticed you removed the field "Agree with gdpr policy". IMHO this is not a correct decision. For users coming from the UE, agreeing to the privacy policy of a site while registering is only enough to register the user to the site, BUT NOT to subscribe the user to a newsletter. A separate consent must be given and stored in Sendy for that. The user should not be registered to a newsletter by default without giving a specific consent to that fact.

Because of that the separate checkbox is needed to prove that the user has given his consent to the newsletter subscription. And because of that the GDPR checkbox in the registration form was a great feature.

What you could have done is make this GDPR checkbox optional for those webmaster who don't want to have it, but removing it forces to all affected by the GDPR to remove the subscription to the newsletter from the register form.

@ichpen, @Mouth, @JamesBrown : You could change the string "Agree with GDPR policy" to something like "I give my consent to subscribe to the newsletter". It is quite easy to do that in Xenforo. But asking to remove this feature because you don't understand how the GDPR works is a little bit overkill.

And if you are receiving users from the UE, and that is quite possibly unless your are living on another planet, let me say you that you have to observe the gdpr too, like it or don't.

Regards

agreeing to the privacy policy of a site while registering is only enough to register the user to the site, BUT NOT to subscribe the user to a newsletter.
The default XF privacy policy says;
In addition to notifying you of activity on our site which may be relevant to you, from time to time we may wish to communicate with all members any important information such as newsletters or announcements by email. You can opt-in to or opt-out of such emails in your profile.
.. which covers sending subscribed newsletters, complying with GDPR.

At /admin.php?options/list/nobita_Sendy ensuring you do not have any newsletters with "Default checked in registration?" complies with GDPR.

You probably have a valid argument for no explicit consent date/time recorded for each newsletter subscription. A suggesstion for that would likely be valid.

And if you are receiving users from the UE, and that is quite possibly unless your are living on another planet, let me say you that you have to observe the gdpr too, like it or don't.
I do not target EU residents. I do not operate from the EU. I do not have to observe GDPR.

Art. 7 GDPRConditions for consent
  1. Where processing is based on consent, the controller shall be able to demonstrate that the data subject has consented to processing of his or her personal data.
  2. 1If the data subject’s consent is given in the context of a written declaration which also concerns other matters, the request for consent shall be presented in a manner which is clearly distinguishable from the other matters, in an intelligible and easily accessible form, using clear and plain language. 2Any part of such a declaration which constitutes an infringement of this Regulation shall not be binding.
  3. 1The data subject shall have the right to withdraw his or her consent at any time. 2The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. 3Prior to giving consent, the data subject shall be informed thereof. 4It shall be as easy to withdraw as to give consent.
  4. When assessing whether consent is freely given, utmost account shall be taken of whether, inter alia, the performance of a contract, including the provision of a service, is conditional on consent to the processing of personal data that is not necessary for the performance of that contract.

Indeed, the Xenforo standard privacy policy says that

In addition to notifying you of activity on our site which may be relevant to you, from time to time we may wish to communicate with all members any important information such as newsletters or announcements by email. You can opt-in to or opt-out of such emails in your profile

And IMHO, this privacy policy is a little bit imprudent. The consent for the gdpr must be freely given, specific and unambiguous.

And with that privacy policy you are subscribing a user to a newsletter automatically when the user registers to your site (the consent is not freely given). You are not being specific, and you are being very ambiguous (maybe you are subscribed to a newsletter, maybe not. Maybe you will receive staff notifications, maybe not). In other words: the user does not know exactly, what he is consenting for.

Last but not least, your are not using Xenforo to send your newsletters, you are using Sendy. And in Sendy you have a beautiful gdpr field, that will be empty if the Nobita plugin removes it from the synchronization.

@truonglv: I can understand that some webmasters think that they don't need this feature, but please, make it optional, don't remove it after spending your time and effort adding it.

I do not target EU residents. I do not operate from the EU. I do not have to observe GDPR.

@Mouth: I don't know what kind of forum do you have, but I can not believe that you don't have registered users from the UE. Nowadays that is statistically impossible.

Regards.

And IMHO, this privacy policy is a little bit imprudent. The consent for the gdpr must be freely given, specific and unambiguous.
Lets agree to disagree. It's quite specific and unambiguous that I can send them newsletters if they opt-in subscribe, and registrants are free to accept that policy or not use the service.

@Mouth: I don't know what kind of forum do you have, but I can not believe that you don't have registered users from the UE. Nowadays that is statistically impossible.
I don't interrogate or review every registration and logon IP address, to reverse look it up and see where the user is located. Nor do I ask during registration or logon where they reside. A users country of residence is not readily available to me. I do not invade their personal information to look it up.
Further, as I said, I do not target EU residents nor do I operate within the EU. I am not an EU subject, GDPR cannot apply.

Lists do not exists when you start with sendy. You first need to create a brand and a list. Which I now did for 'news & updates'.
So now what do I do? Are there more lists I need to create?
My members already opted into newsletters through xenforo. 'Receive news and updates from us by email ' How do I synch that with a sendy list?
It seems that there needs to be a separate checkbox for a list. Is there a way around this?

Last edited:
Some questions:
  1. The rebuild users function does not seem to do much.
  2. Include Fields Into Subscribe
    What does this function do?
  3. How do I add all members to a list who have subscribed to XenForo's function 'Receive news and update emails ' ? It would be illegal to email those who have opted out. Amazon would ban us. EU would fine us for GDPR. There would be very high price to pay.
  4. How do I remove /account/sendy-subscribe ? its a duplication of /account/privacy which has 'Receive news and update emails '
@truonglv

I think we need this:
.webp

Last edited:
@Alfa1

(1): What's feature is missing?
(2): Sendy accept custom fields when subscribe so you can include some user information to make more useful when send email newsletters?
(3): Need new feature to integrate with it.
(4): You have list of subscriptions so if remove that whenever user choose "Receive new..." also subscribe all subscriptions?

Top Bottom