XF 1.5 No reply box, no avatars, no upload button

gavpeds

Someone must have come across this before.
I am having several problems that only seem to be showing up on iOS mobiles.
Thread reply box and post text fields don't show. Refresh the page they come back then refresh again their gone. Upload button does the same and user avatars do the same.

It's only iOS don't know if it is a js or cache or both issue. Can't check console for iOS device as don't have a Mac to connect phone and use web instructor.

Anyone any ideas at all this is happening on the default theme as well. windowcleaningforums.co.uk

I did have DB cache and defer js installed all seemed to start after i removed them.

Some users say it's fine but after a Cache and data clear it happens. Some say it's there but after a chache and data clear it's gone. It seems to be hit and miss the only constant is that it is iOS phones using safari

Also getting this error but files are in the correct place and as stated I am still having these issues on default theme.

image.webp

Last edited:
I still can't reproduce it on my phone (iOS 10).

I've just tried it on the iOS Simulator (iOS 9.3) and I am experiencing some images not loading.

According to the Safari dev console the images are 404, not found. Yet if you take the URL of the image and open it in a new tab then it loads fine.
My iPad is running 9.3.5. If I open a missing avatar in a new tab then it also loads fine for me.

These requests are failing with some response code, though it's not clear what the real code is yet; 404 is a red herring. I suspect that your server is returning some sort of error response code, which leads to Apache looking for an ErrorDocument value. It probably has a default one with a specific file name as the target (something like 500.shtml). This doesn't exist, so mod_rewrite picks it up and pushes that into XF. XF doesn't know the file exists to it returns a 404.

Temporarily, you need to turn off friendly URLs in your control panel and then rename your .htaccess file. Then, we'll need to try again with this hooked up to a dev console to see what the real error response is.

If I had to have a guess, it could be some sort of over zealous anti-DoS thing, though that's a shot in the dark.

It's actually returning 403 errors. This seems to fit with the anti-DoS thing that I mentioned, though it's not clear why it's only happening to specific browsers. It may indicate there's a user agent component of the rule that's being hit.

Unfortunately, this is happening outside of XenForo itself -- and outside of your .htaccess -- so your host would need to help. Hopefully they have logs that indicate that is being tripped here specifically.

(You can restore the .htaccess/friendly URLs, though that may interfere with your hosts' debugging, depending on what they try to do.)

Ok so apparently they think it was due to ruid which they have now turned off and recompiled. Can you guys still see errors or confirm that it seems to be fixed your end? @Mike are you still seeing issues around the 403 errors?

It appears to be working in my tests.

BTW, it looks like you have invalid HTML in your guest notice. I think one of the links hasn't been closed.

Thanks Matt so enabling ruid2 and turning off keep alive should do. If we re-enable ruid now is it going to mess things up again and have to re do permissions?

Last edited:
One question though would this bug have allowed people to access the js directory? As mention in this post.

I've checked your site using an iPad and can see the issue with the disappearing avatars at times (I can't check the rest as I don't have a login, if you provide a test one I can check with that). I checked this with both Chrome and Safari on iPad.

I can't replicate the avatar issue on either my Android tablet, nor on my Mac using Chrome or Safari.

I have noticed when looking at the console on both Chrome (which you can do from PC) and Safari that you sometimes get some error messages related to adverts:

View attachment 140236

(note that I also use Google Ads and have an HTTP website but I never get these mixed content errors)

The console on Safari (which you could check out if you downloaded Safari for Windows) does show a lot of CSS errors but I don't know if this is just Safari being pernickety as I don't get them in the Chrome console.

View attachment 140240

As for the js from the Bliss style, that is there. However, I was able to directly access this via the web browser which you shouldn't be able to (really you should get a 403 Forbidden, which I get when trying to access the js from my Audentio style, so you might want to look into this).

View attachment 140239

You say that the issues persist with the default style. Is the default style completely unedited (so not customisations whatsover and therefore no adverts)?

Also, have you checked with the authors of the add-ons you removed (DB Cache and Defer JS) if there's anything that needs to be done when they are uninstalled (such as rebuilding caches, rebuilding master data)?

Ok so almost fixed now server host has sorted and turned off keep alive. I am still having issue with people being able to access the js folder via browser though and our tapatalk app now does not work in the sense it doesn't seem to be picking up permissions. It tells everyone they don't have permissions to reply or post in any area of the forum. This includes me.

Top Bottom