No possibility to upgrade to version 2

[PixeL]

Hello,

I tried to upgrade my current version (Beta 1) to Beta 2 ... I followed the instructions which are listed in this thread (XenForo 1.0.0 Beta 2 Released) but if I try to upgrade my board there is only one choice I get, a completely new installation of my board, but no possibility to upgrade. What did I wrong?

Make sure the files you've uploaded are actually overwriting the files on the server. And not 'skipping' or 'resuming' them.

On the web server, the version you uploaded .. check the library/xenforo/ dir for the file Application.php

View it from the ftp, see if it says on line : 22 : public static $version = '1.0.0 Beta 2';

You likely haven't maintained the contents of the data and internal_data directories, or maintained your library/config.php file. It depends how you approached it. If you uploaded over top, this data should still be there. If you uploaded into a separate directory and did renames, it wouldn't be. You can move it over manually, but watch permissions.

What about the library/config.php file? Or the contents of internal_data? (Particularly the existence of internal_data/install-lock.php.)

They are gone. I think the problem is Transmit 4. I selected an option, which overwrite everything, but the application seems to deleted everything and upload the new files.

Restore your back up from beta 1, as internal_data and data contain .. data from beta 1.

Update your preferences in transmit (panic.com FTW!! </offtopic>) this is how I have it set:

Screen%20shot%202010-10-21%20at%205.45.40%20PM.png

replace existing file, merge existing folder ..

Note please that the BATCH uploader might have it's own set of rules, vs just a normal transfer.

Screen%20shot%202010-10-21%20at%205.47.58%20PM.png

They are gone. I think the problem is Transmit 4. I selected an option, which overwrite everything, but the application seems to deleted everything and upload the new files.

Edit your library/config.php manually
1. open it up and make sure it's pointing to your current xenforo database with the correct credentials (username/password)
2. make sure the file permissions are correct and the data and inetrnal_data folders are chmod 777 (sometimes when you over write files you mess up the permissions if the sticky bit is not set properly)

What about the library/config.php file? Or the contents of internal_data? (Particularly the existence of internal_data/install-lock.php.)
Are both of these supposed to be gone? I have no install-lock.php, but my old config.php is still there. Thanks for your help. :)

EDIT: Never mind--above post confirms config.php is supposed to still be there.

No, the contents of those directories must still be there. (That's where avatars and attachments are BTW.)

It appears that default settings on Macs may involve overwriting them, rather than merging contents. It's important that contents are merged, though it's strange that your config.php is still there then.

No, the contents of those directories must still be there. (That's where avatars and attachments are BTW.)

It appears that default settings on Macs may involve overwriting them, rather than merging contents. It's important that contents are merged, though it's strange that your config.php is still there then.

It's not - xenforo beta 2 does NOT come with config.php remember :p

Still sort of confused; I have config.php and Application.php, but no install_lock.php--should I? I checked and the permissions on my data and internal_data haven't changed. Sorry that I seem not to be getting this as usual, lol.

I would just revert to the backup from beta 1.
Then get the .zip, unpack it, upload it - overwriting what's there and merging dirs.

After restoring the beta 1 backup (just the files btw..) it should include the install-lock.php

Screen%20shot%202010-10-21%20at%206.37.22%20PM.png

You are talking about an upgrade right? The install-lock.php file should be there; it's created when the install is finished.

If you don't have that, and you had things like attachments or avatars, your best bet may be to restore those 2 directories from a backup. We're trying to come up with ways to make upgrades more straight forward, without affecting installs either.

Same problem here, hope this helps a bit.

I had a copy running on localhost with MAMP and I simply copied the contents of the beta 2 download that I had unzipped into my htdocs directory and clicked ok to overwrite the old files. My internal_data folder is empty apart from a index.html and it's asking me to being installation rather than upgrade.

Rob, that's down to Finder's approach unfortunately - it's quite different than the approach on the command line or in Windows.

Top Bottom