MG 2.1 No easy way to view full size image in 2.1 on laptop

island

When viewing this page on a laptop for example:

The image on that page is actually a 4,160px × 2,340px image

However chrome and other browsers only show it scaled to 1,178px × 663px maximum.

Are the extra pixels intended only for retina type displays?

The only way on a non-touch laptop or desktop display to view that large image (useful for media that is a drawing for example with lots of fine detail) seems to be to right click on the image, click "copy image URL", and then paste the URL into the URL bar of the browser ?

I miss the lightbox that showed a full screen image on click.

Is there a way to have the new forum attachment "lightbox" available for media gallery images?

Wondered this yesterday!

I have a 24" monitor and can't view full size. We're running a photo contest in Gallery so it's the first time I tried to click or find a way. Looked all over, even settings, to see if the images were being uploaded small.

So how do we view full size? Is there way?

Last edited:
XF, is this an oversight or bug?

I'm using the Media of the Month add-on. It creates a post in the forum from the gallery, the image fits my screen. I click to see it in the gallery and I see the small image you can't enlarge. How do you view it full size or with the browser's size etc?

Seems odd of all places, the gallery has the smallest image. And that's where my members are voting for MOTM.

I haven't figured this out yet.

As pointed out in the link above, in Firefox you can instruct users to right click on the image and "view image" and in chrome you can instruct users to right click on the image and "open image in new tab" which is easier than I said in the first post. No need to copy and paste the url. (Sorry, I actually forgot that menu item was there. Oops.)

There was a reason pointed out in the above thread why not to have a lightbox -- in some cases, the photo would already be full size. That doesn't seem to be the case here now on xenforo.com though if you are on a larger screen where the template limits the size to a maximum size. (so it would be less useful to have a lightbox function if the template is full width rather than having a max width for the page.)

I also would like my users to type a meaningful description. So the lightbox in 1.x was nice for this. So you can go from thumbnail view to page view where you have the photo and description which tells you what you're looking at, and then just (normal) click the image, same as you would in main forums, for full screen view of the photo.

I guess opening the image itself in a new tab lets you zoom with the thumbwheel further in than the lightbox maybe (although with a lightbox you can still do that if you want to use the right click menu; I don't find myself doing it often, since I forgot the menu item was there!)

I liked the fact that the gallery in 1.x matched the forum functionality in 1.x in this respect so I'd like to figure out how to recreate it in 2.x.

I thought I would try and get used to it for a month but I'm having a hard time coming to terms that in the forum when you want to see an attached photo larger, you (normal) click it and it comes up in a lightbox full screen. To close it you hit the x and are back to where you were. However, in the gallery when you want to see the full photo, you have to right click it and click the menu item, and then different browsers word it differently, slightly. I'd still like the gallery to have the same functionality as the forum in this respect which I think is easier for me and makes the two feel like they're functioning more closely integrated to me. Since the lightbox function is already in the forum, would like to get the same function in the gallery template.

Last edited:
The odd part is the forum itself has more viewing features for attachments than the actual gallery :oops:

View attachment 218287

Would it be difficult to apply that same feature from the forum attachment system to the media gallery? That works really well for me in the forum and seems very easy to use for new users too (or for those of us like me who forget the browser right click menu is there evidently ;))

viewing some images with zoom is essential

It doesn't help that there's no pinch to zoom on mobile, which sucks, and was there in XF1.

I've been experimenting with some wordpress galleries recently and one gallery, Modula has 6 different lighboxes incorporated into it, only 3 of them have pinch to zoom support. So I ended up using one of those three, it makes the mobile experience so much better.

I still think we need a quality desktop lighbox too though, ideally with inline scrollable comments on the side so you can engage, react and post content while still looking at a large image or watching a video at the same time.

This will be a serious issue for me. I didn’t realize they had changed and limited the Media Gallery function.

As much as I like Xenforo, and I am upgrading this week finally to XF 2, it’s kind of scary how no one from Xenforo is in here helping out with solving legitimate issues.

Is Xenforo dropping support now that XF 2 is out? It used to be with XF1 that there was lots of support from the tech guys from Xenforo helping out, answering questions, solving problems. It’s what drew me to XF1 in the first place how there was so much support and help. Now, looking through the forums there are dozens upon dozens of requests for help with no answer. I just have to say, that’s not good.

If this is the Support Forum, why is there no support to these legitimate questions?

Is there a better forum to post them in to get responses from Xenforo Staff?

Top Bottom