Not a bug  No cancel button on edit thread

welshstew

If I click "edit" and then change my mind, there is no way to go cancel.

nocancel.gif

Not sure if this is a bug, but if designed this way, please can you move this thread to suggestions and update title to "add cancel button on edit thread".

Back button?
If I use the back button my new post doesn't appear unless I refresh

I create a new post
then click edit
decide not to edit
hit back
no new post
hit refresh

ohhh, looksie there it is

In this scenario, it might cause confusion and people emailing admins about where there post has gone, as it isn't intuitive that you have to hit refresh to see you post.

If I use the back button my new post doesn't appear unless I refresh

I create a new post
then click edit
decide not to edit
hit back
no new post
hit refresh

ohhh, looksie there it is

In this scenario, it might cause confusion and people emailing admins about where there post has gone, as it isn't intuitive that you have to hit refresh to see you post.
That's mostly an issue with browsers and how they treat content added after the page is loaded. The only way around it (that I know of) is to prevent caching so the back button loads a fresh page, or to manipulate the location hash (though I'm not sure if that's applicable in this scenario either).

That's mostly an issue with browsers and how they treat content added after the page is loaded. The only way around it (that I know of) is to prevent caching so the back button loads a fresh page, or to manipulate the location hash (though I'm not sure if that's applicable in this scenario either).
I agree, but the majority of internet users are not going to realise this, and will think it is the forum / software and as such contact admins to try and resolve, not realising that the post is fine.

The third way is to add a cancel button that takes the user back to the thread (refreshing the page in the process)

It's sort of a moot point when editing becomes inline. But what you're asking for isn't really feasible anyway - you'd have to be adding it to every possible exit point, but it'd still fall over if they actually use their back button which you can't prevent.

Top Bottom