XF 1.5 No alert after new reply

dethfire

There was a situation where I replied to a thread and then someone replied to me and I didn't get an alert. Usually I get an alert in that situation. What reason could there be for me not getting an alert?

You would only get an alert if you were watching the thread, someone quoted you, or someone mentioned you.

Are you sure the thread is still being "Watched"?

If it was due to a mention, was the mention added in the original post or was it edited in? (Mentions which are edited in don't generate alerts).

All of the aforementioned alerts also depend on you not opting out of them, so make sure they're all still enabled in the Alert Preferences page.

Unless it happens consistently, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The only other thing related to watched threads is you will only get an alert for the first new post since you last viewed it. I'm not sure if there's a scenario that could have happened which would have been affected by that.

Aside from that, you may be looking at an issue with an add-on, but hopefully it's just a one off.

Not sure if its related, but I have a user complaining of the same kind of thing. He gets some alerts and not others. He just sent me a screenshot

Capture.webp

The most common explanation for this is that they haven't yet viewed the thread again since they last got an alert.
im pretty sure its some sort of bug, had a lot of members in the last year complaining about it but i never was able to figure out the issue so i dropped it since it is not a big deal

It's unlikely to be a bug with XF at least.

It's really not something we get a lot of reports of so, if anything, it would likely be an add-on conflict.

I have over 7,000 watched threads here and the only time I've not had an alert is when I have received an alert, not visited the thread, and then not had repeated alerts, which is by design.

It's unlikely to be a bug with XF at least.

It's really not something we get a lot of reports of so, if anything, it would likely be an add-on conflict.

I have over 7,000 watched threads here and the only time I've not had an alert is when I have received an alert, not visited the thread, and then not had repeated alerts, which is by design.
i am not talking about watched alerts because i have those disabled, some members would get lets say (5) alerts, but when they open up the alerts, its only 2 new ones

Then you're definitely talking about something completely unrelated.

Regardless, the likely cause for that is that an add-on has created an alert for a user, but the alert is then filtered out when the user opens their alert list.

It can also happen if the alert has expired. Alerts expire after 30 days by default. For performance reasons, the alert count isn't totally dynamic. It's a cached value. So if a user receives 5 alerts and doesn't visit for over 30 days, the alert count will read 5, but in fact they are all expired.

If you compare the Unread watched threads and the alert list, you see he isn't getting all alerts. Its plain as day. Those 2 lists should be the same.
This isn't necessarily true. If you get an alert and don't read the thread, the alert will potentially be removed but the thread will still be unread (and you won't get another alert). Vice versa, if you read the thread immediately, the alert will still exist but the unread thread won't be listed.

Top Bottom