Nginx new server any OS ideas?

x4rl

Howdy, I'm planing on starting up again and at the moment I'm using a vmware server on my local computer just to well play with.

Does anyone know any good tutorials on what I would need to install everything needed for xenforo to run? I used to use debain but I'm willing to learn any linux OS's.

Ive never used nginx before but alot of people sware by it so I'm willing to give it a try.

Thanks

Yeah, it's based on RedHat, so it's very stable in production.

Apples and Oranges really though, if you want to learn something new, go for CentOS. If you are already comfortable with Debian, stick with that.

I've used CentOS from the start, so that's why I'm more comfortable using that on my production servers.

Would suggest Debian Linux

Right out of the box, before you even tweak it; it will use few resources than CentOS. After you tweak it (if you choose to do so), it will still use fewer resources. A default LAMP install uses about 12 mb all by its self. Giving you everything else for your site or other needs.

Very user friendly and easy to setup. I wrote a guide on it.
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/debian-server-setup.952/

Would suggest Debian Linux

Right out of the box, before you even tweak it; it will use few resources than CentOS. After you tweak it (if you choose to do so), it will still use fewer resources. A default LAMP install uses about 12 mb all by its self. Giving you everything else for your site or other needs.

Very user friendly and easy to setup. I wrote a guide on it.
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/debian-server-setup.952/
Aye nice guide, I'm after nginx tho. I'm of to try this centOS and if I can't can used to it ill be back to debian :)

Aye nice guide, I'm after nginx tho. I'm of to try this centOS and if I can't can used to it ill be back to debian :)
Sorry, I had skimmed over things...

nginx is easy to install on Debian
PHP:
aptitude install nginx

But whatever you decide, good luck

Aye installing it the easy part :D I seem to fail at setting it up tho :p thanks tho!
@MattW is who I recommend when it comes to nginx. His skill set is well known on it (and far better than I).

But I have used it on Debian. It used much fewer resource than the CentOS I had setup.

This is why I like centminmod. It will get everything installed for you with a nice basic configuration to work from, and tweak / adjust to suite your own needs.

Might be debain again lol can't even get Cent to install.
Get this everytime.
Suggestion... if you are already familiar with Debian... stick with that. You will spend less time learning what you will need to do. Setting up nginx is easy. I can even give you an example vhost config file if you want to start a convo with me (from what I use on one of my 3 dedicated servers or 2 VPS's).
You can always play with a centOS install on a VM image until you get familiar with it. I have it running on one of my VPS's on my ProxMox server just learning it - but not at the point I would feel comfortable using it to run my site with.

Cheers, I'll 6.5 on my spare server see how that goes. than ill try this vmware image.

Suggestion... if you are already familiar with Debian... stick with that. You will spend less time learning what you will need to do. Setting up nginx is easy. I can even give you an example vhost config file if you want to start a convo with me (from what I use on one of my 3 dedicated servers or 2 VPS's).
You can always play with a centOS install on a VM image until you get familiar with it. I have it running on one of my VPS's on my ProxMox server just learning it - but not at the point I would feel comfortable using it to run my site with.

Thanks Tracy. I just might do that (y)

Top Bottom