New version of Redactor is out

Stuart Wright

(haven't seen anyone refer to this here, yet)
http://imperavi.com/redactor/log/
Our editorial developer (who switched to using redactor for our CMS when we heard Xenforo 1.2 was switching to it) has just told me about this Redactor update.
He says it fixes some of the image handling problems which were causing him some issues.
As I understand it, you can now select an area of an image in photoshop, copy and paste right into Redactor.
Awesome.

You'd might as well forget that the editor used in XenForo has any relation to Redactor.

First of all, the version this editor is based on is version 8. Second of all, Redactor is a HTML editor at its core so it's required a significant amount of modifications to make it work as a BB Code Editor. Thirdly, it's required so many patches and bug fixes (some that have probably been fixed since in version 9 and whatever of Redactor). Ultimately, this effectively means that what we're using now, although based on Redactor, almost couldn't be further away from Redactor.

You probably won't see the latest version in XenForo.

I also understand the latest version has a significant ammount of changes in which means "updating" will be the same as "replacing"... again...

Until Windows XP support ends in April 2014 you're not going to shift some people away from IE8 which is the highest version of the Ms browser which that OS will run. Yes, they could use Chrome or Firefox instead but sadly too many people are wedded to IE. Also there are still business software that will only work in IE8. In fact the county council I work for still has software that requires IE7!!

It was actually his company.
I may even check Analytics if I can be bothered to see what the breakdown is now.

I have quite a few using IE8, 7, and 6. But they represent 3% of my total visitors, so I don't really care for them.

It was actually his company.
I may even check Analytics if I can be bothered to see what the breakdown is now.

It's usually companies as opposed to individuals. So many companies out there are using ancient browsers that it's not even funny. Over the last month we had 138 visits for IE6 and 265 visits for IE7

There is one guy on my site who until very recently was still using IE6.
One of our moderators accesses the site using IE6 on his corporate PC during the day... Still have a few IE7 users according to Google analytics as well *sighs*

Each new version comes with code optimization. For that reason alone I would vote for updating the editor.
And I'm sure that there is a real difference in performance between version 8 to 9.
I guess the support dropped for IE8 just because of the unique features that Redactor provides. But since we only use the basic buttons, I don't think there is much to concern about compatibility with IE8.

That and IE sucks so whoever chooses to use it needs to get out of the 90s and come to 2013 lol.

So basically we gotta suffer because some people are afraid of change and refuse to upgrade?... well screw them, they are the minority anyway lol

Probably will have the same problem with people sticking to Windows 7 and all that entails, because they don't want to go to Windows 8 and that whole mess. I bet in 10 years, lots of people will still be on 7. Glad I switched to Linux Mint and never going back. Microsoft's days are numbered.

That and IE sucks so whoever chooses to use it needs to get out of the 90s and come to 2013 lol.
So basically we gotta suffer because some people are afraid of change and refuse to upgrade?... well screw them, they are the minority anyway lol

The thing is anyone that thinks like that has no business in software or web design. Im not going to tell you to worry about the users at work stuck on IE. The real problem is that to market a product like Xenforo to a company whose employees are stuck using IE 8 on a bunch of old leased XP machines. If you create a product that alienates thousands of potential customers what are you in business for?

I had a good laugh when people started complaining about an issue in the vBulletin editor that clearly could only be caused by IE10. Then I cried a little when I found out how many. IE 7 was my support baseline but for the Xenforo site it became 8. 52% of our views come from Chrome the rest Firefox and IE, of the IE users 10 is the majority with 8 coming in around 3%.

Back when I was slinging android firmware for devs it seemed most android tinkerers use Chrome. I don't have to worry about 99% of our gamers using 8. Battlelog for BF3/BF4/MOHWF doesn't work at all in 8 they either use something else or worst case IE10.

Last edited:
playing it nice isn't nice.
the support for older codes and browser should be completely stopped. viruses geeks should make viruses that target these old browsers and let nature do its job .
up to the last years and still up to now many computer at the university still uses XP

The thing is anyone that thinks like that has no business in software or web design.
I have been in the business of web design since 1996, i have always used the softwares that were options to me, dont mean i like it. But i guess i could always code my own forum software solution buuuuut...F That!! lol. Ill use whatever XF or any of the other options give me but everyone has wishes and my wish is, for the rest of us to stop being punished for those that are just too stubborn to upgrade. If we start leaving them out and moving forward with the rest of the world then they have 2 options..to conform and join in to enjoy the goodness or..to just be stuck in the past and lonely....no one likes to be lonely. The plan will work lol...

Top Bottom