New version of Redactor is out

It's usually companies as opposed to individuals. So many companies out there are using ancient browsers that it's not even funny. Over the last month we had 138 visits for IE6 and 265 visits for IE7

Yeah, the enterprise is notoriously slow when it comes to upgrading. Plenty of big businesses still on IE7/8 mostly because of custom browser plugins that rely on a bunch of legacy stuff.

Where I work they just deployed a big web solution that requires Internet Explorer. No plugins, just a internal website, that does not work with anything but Internet Explorer (8 and above, 7 and down does not work either). Not sure why it is so, but it is so anyway.

We also have a citrix solution that does not work with Firefox or Chrome as well. It used to work with Firefox, and still does for some, but absolutely refuses to work for me in anything but internet explorer.

Where I work they just deployed a big web solution that requires Internet Explorer. No plugins, just a internal website, that does not work with anything but Internet Explorer (8 and above, 7 and down does not work either). Not sure why it is so, but it is so anyway.

We also have a citrix solution that does not work with Firefox or Chrome as well. It used to work with Firefox, and still does for some, but absolutely refuses to work for me in anything but internet explorer.
The coder who developed that should be fired...

They bought the wrong solution, then.

I get involved in IT projects where I work. If a solution was proposed that required legacy software I would make a case for that solution not to be used.

There's just no excuse for it.

It is shelf ware, meant for internal use only, no external visitors at all. Not sure why they decided with IE only, they might have had their reasons. There isn't a single coder behind it, it is a big corporation and it is based on years of development. I have not tested it with firefox my self, from what I have seen of it, there should be no reason why it should not work. I have only heard that it requires IE, so I have not bothered to test it my self.

BTW, it does not require legacy software, just IE version 8 and above. One of the problems when we deployed it was that some locations did not have new enough IE to use it. When you work in a conservative industry, you are not always able to run the newest technologies at all times, especially when just deploying new software is a huge logistical challenge once the file size hits a certain level.

It was actually his company.
I may even check Analytics if I can be bothered to see what the breakdown is now.
Just checked mine now, and compared to the same time period 12 months ago, IE and FF have dropped off, and Chome and Safari are up

z22se_browser.webp

Just checked Google Analytics as well. 17.65% of my visitors use some form of Internet Explorer and only 3.6% of that group are IE7 or less. BUT, 25% of my IE visitors are still using IE8.

28% of 17.65% of my total member base means that up to 974 users are still using IE8 or lower.

I have been in the business of web design since 1996, i have always used the softwares that were options to me, dont mean i like it. But i guess i could always code my own forum software solution buuuuut...F That!! lol. Ill use whatever XF or any of the other options give me but everyone has wishes and my wish is, for the rest of us to stop being punished for those that are just too stubborn to upgrade. If we start leaving them out and moving forward with the rest of the world then they have 2 options..to conform and join in to enjoy the goodness or..to just be stuck in the past and lonely....no one likes to be lonely. The plan will work lol...
Just because you been in the business of web design doesn't mean you have been in the business of running a large corporation (like several call centers). They normally stick with what they have and what works - and what is cheaper. Usually that is run it till it won't run any more and then try to squeeze a little more out of it. I think what @rainmotorsports was referring to is that not EVERYONE has the option/luxury to run the latest/greatest. The choice is frequently left up to someone else that has packages that need the older browsers to support it.
Classic case is my wife's work (State of Texas). Their time sheets can only be done in IE 8 and lower. IE9 and IE10 screw it up.

XP support ends in April 2014 you're not going to shift some people away from IE8 which is the highest version of the Ms browser which that OS will run.

Just because you been in the business of web design doesn't mean you have been in the business of running a large corporation (like several call centers). They normally stick with what they have and what works - and what is cheaper. Usually that is run it till it won't run any more and then try to squeeze a little more out of it. I think what @rainmotorsports was referring to is that not EVERYONE has the option/luxury to run the latest/greatest. The choice is frequently left up to someone else that has packages that need the older browsers to support it.
Classic case is my wife's work (State of Texas). Their time sheets can only be done in IE 8 and lower. IE9 and IE10 screw it up.
Didnt say i did...just sucks that the rest of us have to be punished..

Top Bottom