New smilies

yoghurtfarmer

Just noticed the change to the emoticons Shelley made :). Will this change be reflected in 1.0.0 or would be they offered as an alternative smiley set?

All that I have to say:
thumbsup.png

Thank God both sets are included.
There was nothing wrong with the old smilies. Those doodles were great!
These are too soft, too girly. Not my style. Reminds me too much of when I used to run a phpBB board. I also can't really see a forum where majority are male to enjoy these compared to the more both-gender-friendly smilies. What I really liked about the older ones is that they were simple, bright, thicker lines and easier in the text (not too intrusive - they are just ascii replacements after all) and bit easier on the eyes. These are just too dark in color, too colorful and while they are great as a set, they feel as an 'additional' set or a personal wordpress blog. I am sure a lot of people will like them, they're not 'ugly' - but my first impression is that they are not 'xenforo'.

These are too soft, too girly. Not my style. Reminds me too much of when I used to run a phpBB board. I also can't really see a forum where majority are male to enjoy these compared to the more both-gender-friendly smilies. What I really liked about the older ones is that they were simple, bright, thicker lines and easier in the text (not too intrusive - they are just ascii replacements after all) and bit easier on the eyes. These are just too dark in color, too colorful and while they are great as a set, they feel as an 'additional' set or a personal wordpress blog. I am sure a lot of people will like them, they're not 'ugly' - but my first impression is that they are not 'xenforo'.

I'm assuming that's why both will be included. Some prefer the doodly smilies, and some prefer Shelley's smilies.
As for me, as long as I have smilies, I'm a happy camper.
laugh.png
biggrin.png

They look alright, but I've always preferred simpler, more pixellated smilies. Small images just aren't suited to so much antialiasing/blurring.

But since XenForo has a distinctly modern look, they fit in pretty nicely.

First word which came to my head was girly, it's weird, though these can be seen as nicer looking, kiers old set just i dunno.. "feel" right.. Good job to the designer though.

On a side note.. I just searched "Smilies" for this thread but got every single thread in which anyone had ever used a smilie ever. Good job I went back to tick "titles only" eh.

I understand your issues with them and on the other hand it's indeed obvious they are very well designed (most of them) and look great as a set (and as a replacement to the standard smilies as well IMO) indeed. The issue however people might have now is that not every smiley is recognizable anymore, as expressed here:

Old post, no doubt, but I'm not sure how many of us see ":notworthy:" and automatically think "Woah, that smilie means not worthy!"
That raises the question if it's handy in the first place to include smilies in a product that are difficult to understand. Yes, with the inclusion of these new smilies in XenForo the meaning of some of them is unknown/not recognizable anymore... so the need of tooltips (thatare luckily included in the smilies dropdown) becomes bigger.
:love: : this is supposed to represent... ' love'. Well... I don't think many people would get that without the help of a tooltip. In my opinion... basic smilies in a product should not need a tooltip to explain to it's endusers what they mean. That's why the former/original XenForo smilies pack was not bad at all.

(Arrghh... this freakin'n quotes bug is driving me crazy too many times :mad:)

Nobody ever said there was anything wrong with the smilies Kier designed. You mentioned this yourself. This is primarily all about giving the customers more, giving them the ability to edit every element of the smiley down to the pupil, eyes, hands to the base layer colouring. The alternative smiley pack is fully layered, and gives the customer full control in modding the smilies. And this to me is xenforo and what xenforo stands for. (y)

Smilies will always be preference driven, Me myself think the devs made a wise choice giving their customers the choice of another smiley pack, more importantly a smiley pack that is fully layered, vectored that no other forum software provides. :barefoot:

Nobody ever said there was anything wrong with the smilies Kier designed. You mentioned this yourself. This is primarily all about giving the customers more, giving them the ability to edit every element of the smiley down to the pupil, eyes, hands to the base layer colouring. The alternative smiley pack is fully layered, and gives the customer full control in modding the smilies. And this to me is xenforo and what xenforo stands for. (y)

Smilies will always be preference driven, Me myself think the devs made a wise choice giving their customers the choice of another smiley pack, more importantly a smiley pack that is fully layered, vectored that no other forum software provides. :barefoot:

If it was about giving the customers more, then the default set would be there as the default, and additional sets would actually be additional. I am glad to hear the full development set is provided so they can be replaced with the default smilies set still. And I appreciate it that you take the time to explain your point of view.

However, thankfully it remains my opinion and preference - and until the smilies are updated to respect accessibility and aren't so dark, or cluttered, I desire to continue using the set that simply worked just fine and doesn't require leaning forward to see if an orange blob on the screen is on the phone or has a thumbs up or is an alien or bowing.

The smilies look great. No argument there. They just don't feel like xenforo - and they Are now the default set, hence the room for me to comment on them. Customer feedback has been the discussion point from day one on this site.

I am not asking for change, despite that I might personally prefer the xenforo set to be .. the xenforo set. I am just giving feedback.

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but have they been designed by a certain lady of this parish? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Either way, I like.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom