New smilies

yoghurtfarmer

Just noticed the change to the emoticons Shelley made :). Will this change be reflected in 1.0.0 or would be they offered as an alternative smiley set?

I thought that my set had character, but lacked the polish that is shown in the rest of the software, and were therefore an ill-fit for XenForo. I've included the original set in the download package for those that have grown attached to them (http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/smilies.doodle/) but it was time to move the default set over to something a bit less amateurish.

I think that is a shame myself.

They could have done with a tidy up, but not completely replacing with ones that are totally different and have a completely different feel to them.

But hey, it's your* baby.

*Includes Mike and Ashley

What do you think? I kinda like'em. I'm using Shelly's excellent set of smilies, but I like this new set also.
The smilies that you see here are Shelley's. They are very good smilies, I do not deny that, and I do like them. But not for XenForo.
I happen to like the ones that Kier designed better - for Xenforo.

Nice work, Shelley, as usual!

I too, liked some of the original smiles, but some of them were ugly, too.... so I think that Kier's choice idea was well intentioned.

As both discussions now seem to have blurred between like and dislike, I've merged the threads.

I think Kier's smilies were unique and original and fun, like the software, they have a joie de vivre that encaptulated the Xenforo mindset very well.
Fully agree.
The quirkiness of the original smilies really made them different to anything else, especially when it comes to out of the box forum smilies.

Aww geeze... The "old" smilies are still there.
I don't see them? I was talking about this community. And I assumed of course this is the new smiley set that will be delivered with the stable release. That seemed only logical to me.

Was it really necessary to start a whole new thread to point out that you don't like the additional smilies,
Yes, I felt it was needed, since I happen to care about every little aspect of this product. Not because I want to be annoying to some, but because I want to help many (or at least try to).

In the end it's just customer feedback of course, and it can probably be ignored if I'm in the minority.

when #1 it's obvious that alot of work went into designing them,
The amount of work has no relevance in my feedback on liking something or not, and it shouldn't for anyone. Furthermore, I did not say I have no respect for people doing this work, that's something completely different. My feedback was merely meant to post my honest and true opinion on the smileys, and why I liked the old ones better. I'm sorry if some don't like that opinion. But I think a feedback forum deserves any feedback, not just the feedback some like.

#2 you can remove them on your own forum since they're not the default smilies,
Of course, and it wasn't about my forum. It was about this forum, and the default smiley package delivered with XenForo which will be many forums. I just gave my opinion, you gave yours. I did not expect many people to agree with me, but that's fine, as long as I don't have to agree with them, or be criticized for giving my opinion. Now that would be strange wouldn't it?

and #3, there's already a thread for this?
I missed this thread to be honest (it sometimes happens when you're doing other things at the same time), and it's true that I could have posted it here. I probably would have if I knew about it. Please don't shoot me for it.

The original smilies are still distributed with XenForo for those who prefer them:
http://xenforo.com/community/styles/default/xenforo/smilies.doodle/
Thanks. Imho your smileys looked very unique and appropriate as default.

The smilies that you see here are Shelley's. They are very good smilies, I do not deny that, and I do like them. But not for XenForo.
I happen to like the ones that Kier designed better - for Xenforo.
So you do agree with me :)

I thought that my set had character, but lacked the polish that is shown in the rest of the software, and were therefore an ill-fit for XenForo.

The new ones are a great fit to the default theme (hue with hue + darker border and edging).
I'm surprised at the acceptance of the new ones; then again I have seen some ghastly themes/skins out there.

The new ones are a great fit to the default theme (hue with hue + darker border and edging).
I'm surprised at the acceptance of the new ones; then again I have seen some ghastly themes/skins out there.

To be honest I didn't like the old ones at first but they grew on me. It will take time for the new ones to grow on people as well I'm sure.

Top Bottom