New smilies

yoghurtfarmer

Just noticed the change to the emoticons Shelley made :). Will this change be reflected in 1.0.0 or would be they offered as an alternative smiley set?

Aww geeze... The "old" smilies are still there.

Was it really necessary to start a whole new thread to point out that you don't like the additional smilies, when #1 it's obvious that alot of work went into designing them, #2 you can remove them on your own forum since they're not the default smilies, and #3, there's already a thread for this?

Opinion

I'm on the neat freak side of things. I never liked smilies sets that didn't match on forums, or to many smilies. I don't care what set goes just suggesting one does :D

Edit: Cache!! Good to see there wasn't two sets. I approve now.

The new smilies are somewhat hard to see and understand what those mean.
What about translation of the smilies-text when running a Forum in another language than english or running a Forum in 2 languages?

Personally I wish the original Kier ones were still used here, and the secondary pack offered as an alternative in the download.

I think Kier's smilies were unique and original and fun, like the software, they have a joie de vivre that encaptulated the Xenforo mindset very well.

Not taking anything away from Shelley, who I believe is incredibly talented and works very hard on her offerings.

Fortunately there is choice on our own boards, and we can use whatever smilies we want, but for me personally I am sorry to see Kier's smilies replaced here.

Personally I wish the original Kier ones were still used here, and the secondary pack offered as an alternative in the download.

I think Kier's smilies were unique and original and fun, like the software, they have a joie de vivre that encaptulated the Xenforo mindset very well.

Not taking anything away from Shelley, who I believe is incredibly talented and works very hard on her offerings.

Fortunately there is choice on our own boards, and we can use whatever smilies we want, but for me personally I am sorry to see Kier's smilies replaced here.
I do agree, and I do love Shelley's smilies (I use quite a bit of her stuff on my vb4 site and very nice it looks too), but I did think the original XF smilies really did capture the spirit of the software very well. they were unique. There should have been a few more of them but they should have been left as the default option.

But...they weren't everyone's cup of tea I guess, and Shelley's are perhaps more "mainstream". Perhaps these sort of "compromises" will have to become more commonplace as time turns....

I hate smilies in general... on my forum, we use the smilie system for functional notation:
http://www.8wayrun.com/help/smilies

In fighting games, code such as 236B would be shorthand for "quarter circle forward B" (hadoken motion). So if you put :2::3::6::B:, it will come out as smilies....
2.png
3.png
6.png
B.png

I think the new set of smilies on xf.com right now is great. So great that I may test them out on my own forum. There is probably only 1 person on xf.com besides myself that knows how picky I am on such matters.

Thanks Shelly. (y)

Oh wow. I didn't realize that Kier's smilies were gone, as they were still in the dropdown earlier today.

Now I am sad. :(

Yeah I was originally seeing his ones in addition to Shelley's but I must have been cached as they are now all the new ones.

I do agree, and I do love Shelley's smilies (I use quite a bit of her stuff on my vb4 site and very nice it looks too), but I did think the original XF smilies really did capture the spirit of the software very well. they were unique. There should have been a few more of them but they should have been left as the default option.

But...they weren't everyone's cup of tea I guess, and Shelley's are perhaps more "mainstream". Perhaps these sort of "compromises" will have to become more commonplace as time turns....

Perhaps so Mark.

I know Kier's smilies were definitely quite unique and not to everyone's tastes, but I loved them!

I hate smilies in general... on my forum, we use the smilie system for functional notation:
http://www.8wayrun.com/help/smilies

In fighting games, code such as 236B would be shorthand for "quarter circle forward B" (hadoken motion). So if you put :2::3::6::B:, it will come out as smilies....
2.png
3.png
6.png
B.png

Great idea. I've never been a fan of "autosmilies". I prefer people needing to intentionally create a smilie such as :happy: :sad:

Top Bottom